Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cold feet!!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM

Default RE: Cold feet!!

Get the heated insoles. They are the length of the foot. They look like a set of odor eaters.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=153322

I buy these things up like mad. I won't hunt in the cold weather without these things. In fact, I place these things very high on my list of must-haves for my hunting pack....right up there with my license and ammo! I have one set of rubber boots that I use a vast majority of the time. They are UN-insulated. I wear a pair of wool socks and use these heaters. One word of warning: Don't put them in your boots right away when going to your stand. They heat up pretty good initially. I've actually felt like my feet were burning when walking to my stand. I had to stop and take them back out. Now I just put them in my boots at the point when my feet begin to get cold.

IMO the smaller hand packs and the ones that go under the toes only are nearly worthless for the feet. For one, the hand packs get crumpled up or they work themselves into weird corners of your boots making walking impossible. The toes ones don't provide enough heat for the whole foot. They are better than the hand packs and are better than nothing in a pinch. You really need the full length ones to reap any real benefit.

When the weather turns really nasty, I have a set of pac boots. I don't use these more often because they're bulky and a bit cumbersome to walk in. But these boots combined with the heated insoles have made cold feet a complete non-issue for me on really cold winter days.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I live in South Carolina and I can handle colder temps than that. Your boots need to be sized for the socks you will wear. Boots than fit you with normal socks will constrict your foot with thick socks and slow your bloodcirculation. One trick is to loosen your boots so that you can wiggle your toes. Movement helps keep your circulation going. It is important to start doing this BEFORE your feet get cold. Once they get cold, the circulation slows down and it becomes harder to get them warm again.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use just the toe ones and they keep my feet warm here in pa.

i agree,i dont walk with them in, i get to where i sit,then put them in my boots under my toes..

my feet never get cold,its my toes

so, toe paks work fine and are cheaper than ones you suggest..

paying 17 dollars plus shipping is too much, i get the toe ones at wal-mart on sale for 1 dollar each,i buy about 20 each season.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

Everything I do has been mentioned, but one thing not mentioned is the insulated over-bootie. These are bulky, but most crush into a fairly small wad. These must be super because my 80+ old uncle whose feet had very, very poor circulation the last several years of his life, used these. He swore by them.

if you feet are wet from walking,the bootie will not work..

i carry 3 pairs of wool mix socks and change then if i walk a lot.

50 years at it and only boot that will keep my feet warm is RUBBER BOOT.

i use the lacroose burly ones and toe paks from wal-mart for 1 dollar ea.

if your feet are wet, nothing will work.
when i sit down after walking a lot, i take my burlys off, take rag and wipe inside, on goes my second pair of socks.

then you can put those booties over your boots.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:35 PM

what are the draw backs on the Predator Extreme pac boots from Cabela's
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

The draw backs on Cabela's Predator Extream is trying to use a climber is a little tuff and using a latter stand with them on is also a little tuff. But no matter what, your feet will not get cold. A little on the heavy side per bootbut a very well made boot. I would and could recommond these boots to anybody who hunts in cold weather.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smartwool socks.

I discovered them downhill skiing and have been using them every since. Thin yet warm, I put a very thin pair on first and then a thick pair (make sure you have room in your boots). Too tight boots are a major cause of cold feet when I worked in the rental shop so that should be #1. I too believe in breathing clothing so I ONLY use boots with Gore-Tex (have yet to find an alternative that works as well as genuine Gore-Tex).
Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 PM

any big difference between the cabelas predator and the Rocky Deerstalker Boots? which one might be better?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

floydfollower,
I believe Rocky Deerstalker boots has gore-tex which I've never had a problem with ever. Cabela's Predator Extream has their own waterproof membrain which is called "Dry-Plus" and it's Gore Tex just under Cabela's name.Both are trusted products in my opinion. But if I had to trust between Rocky or Cabela's for customer service and customer satisfaction, give me Cabela's.

I'm sure Rocky makes these boots along with other boots for Cabela's.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Some good advice, my feet still get cold at times while sitting. Some of us are sissy boys, There's not at a Boot out there that will work for everybody.

Quick Reply: Cold feet!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.