Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Climbing Sticks/Rapid Rails?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Climbing Sticks/Rapid Rails?

What are you all using to get into your hang on treestands? I've been using screw-in tree steps and they aren't much.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing Sticks/Rapid Rails?

I have 3 sets of climbing sticks. Not sure the brand but whats great is they set up fast and you can make them however tall you want. I tried the screw ins 1st but I couldn't get the spacing right as I was going up the tree. Tried the sticks and I was sold.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 3-piece, 16' climbing sticks and HD screw in steps. Usually use the screw in steps to set up a pull up above the lock-on or to negotiate a "unusual" shaped tree.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the following: Cranford EZY Climb screw in steps, Lone Wolf climbing sticks, and Woody Step Bolts. My favorite is a combination of the Cranford screw in steps at the top and 3 or 4 of the step bolts at the bottom of the tree. Here is a link toWoody hunting products(I also use the hand drill and linemans beltfrom Woody as well):

http://www.woodyhunting.com/Bolts.html

The Lone Wolf sticks are excellent and very safe but the step bolts are so much easier to carry in and out.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Spike

I have several sets that I believe are ameristep but could be another brand. I wait until Cabelas or Sportsmansguide put them on sale and buy them then. You can get them for $30 for 15ft and 40 for 20ft. My lil bro buys the ameristep rapid rails and they seem to work in difficult trees because they dont have to be straight. They do slightly give when first set up so I prefer the ladder type. Anything is better than those pesky screw-in type.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 PM

i would never use the screw in steps, heard and seen to many bad things happen, they are very slippery, and are a hassle to put in, i know you can pick up 15 or 20 ft ladder steps or whatever they are called at gander mtn for somewhere around 50-70. so id def go that route, alot easier to put up and take down and not as danderous and frankly you can kill em if you get hurt getiing in the stand
Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Used screw in steps for a couple of years. I hate them. I now use ladder stands and may buy the portable climbing ladders for the 1 hang on stand I have. When I set up a new ladder stand I use the tree pegs to hang stuff off of. I got tohave 20+ of them hanging around.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have 3 of the 16 ft. stick ladders that I use in conjunction with 2 or 3 screw in steps on my stands that go up and stay up.

However, I will mostly be using my Lone wolf sticks this year.