Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for a new atv

Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking for a new atv

I'm thinking about a new atv. My Polaris 325 Magnum is 8 years old and has been a great machine. It's done all I've asked of it with zero problems but it tends to run hot if I try to use it as a tractor to disk small food plots. It's air cooled. I'm thinking of something a little bigger thats liquid cooled. I really like Polaris and am looking at maybe a Sportsman 500. Any suggestions or recommendations of other brands?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for a new atv

It's your money and your choice! But........
An 8 year old Honda is just getting broke in well!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

love my Honda Rancher,great work horse always dependable!Ya gotta
remember:Honda:always in the woods never in the shop!Good luck on
your search!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

If you have had good luck with Popo then go with them again. The years you had one were not their best and the new ones are far better. I like Suzuki and have a Kingquad 450 with IRS and EFI. The new Sportsman 500 has both these features and I understand it is a nice ride. For reviews go to this site http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list.asp
and under reviews there will be a drop down box...select atv then go to the mfg you are looking for. Good luck
Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Yam Griz 700. The power assist steering is great for my tired old body, and the EFI works like a charm. Also, my hunting buddy rides a Polaris Sportsman 500. It's been great for him and it rides very comfy. He may upgrade for a larger one (next year) but for now it's his go-to ride.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

if you're going to be buying a new/newer machine, get fuel injection! otherwise you might as well buy an older machine....2000 etc....

the machine I buy....will be liquid cooled, fuel injected, 4 wheel independent, 4x4, possibly a v-twin though not a deal breaker.

I really like the Suzuki Kingquad, Can-Am,
Old 06-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with probably 20 different folks. Between us all over the past 20-25 years or so we have covered the spectrum when it comes to ATV's and UTV's. I may be blowing smoke up my own rear, but seems to me that if the ATV is taken care of as recommended and not asked to do more than it is capable ... and not "raw hided" any brand does fine. Though I own 2 Polaris machines (and both have been 100% great), from what I have seen of others' ATV's, the Honda is a great machine. Wonder why they have not hit the UTV market?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use to own a Polaris 700 Sportsman and loved it. i traded it for a Jeep when the government started closing down all the public land to vehicle travel. the only complaint i had with the Polaris was the belt drive. you better have it in 4wd if you put low end strain on it or the belt would slip, especially in wet conditions. also always keep an extra belt in case you bust it, or you're stranded.