Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Digital Camera.  I need some opinions?? >

Digital Camera. I need some opinions??

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Digital Camera. I need some opinions??

Old 02-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Digital Camera. I need some opinions??

I was wondering how many use a digital camera for field photo' s? I have found a store that is going out of business and have a real bargin buy on some lower model digital camera' s (HP 318 (2 mega pixels) 90.00 in particluar) I know many who have the fancy 4(+) mega pixels and they are very nice, but I wanted something I could leave in the truck or put in my pack. Something that if it got wrecked, oh well. However I have heard these lower models don' t give great photo' s, I really don' t want to buy one to find out it is not what I want/need. The thing I like is you can see what the pic is like before you develop and may work well for my usage)

I have an top line SLR, I don' t want it for anything other than hunting, fishing and maybe some kids pics to email family (mostly up close pictures and not a huge number a year).

Any experience with this model? How do the lower grade ones perform in the outdoors, both low and regular light conditions? Or just stick with the 35mm?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Digital Camera. I need some opinions??

Skeeter...I own both 35mm and a new 4 megapixel Olympus...One of the digital camera weaknesses is the lCD monitor on it ...if it is locked in a hot car it will be destroyed. I leave the digital for family shots and other nonhunting activities and use the 35mm for hunting. The Olympus model I have is simply outstanding and the pictures are unbelievable but I would not want to knock it or any other digital around. If there is one exception it would be the Canon Elph series digital. The body/chassis are made of stainless and are very compact. Hope that helps
Old 02-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Kodak dc280 a great camera and it takes some really good pics.
I know when I am in the woods it is alsways stuffed into my back pack.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:20 PM

I will not go in the woods or any where else for that matter w/o my digital. I used a Kodak dx3600 (about $200 full retail) for a year or so and now I use an OLY c700.

I would say that even the lower priced cams will take good pictures as long as you are not interested in art and are not planning to print very many if any.

The Kodak took great pics for the price and the OLY does the same. I would say the HP will do as well.

I cannot imagine ever owning a 35mm again. Too much trouble for my taste.

Jim
Old 02-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

We just bought a FugiFinpix 3800. I love it! It' s a 3.2 megapixel with 6X optical zoom. I took a picture of a turkey on roost last weekend and thought it looked like a squirells nest on the display but if I use the zoom on the display? man it' s cool! You can see the gobbler stutting and even the color of his head.

I had to send it to my photo shop and clear up the image, it turned out awesome and I' m glad I got one. I still will carry my 35 handy camera with me and when out scouting my wifes nicer 35 w/ a nice zoom. You can check out the turkey strutting on the roost in the turkey forum under " photo post- lets see~" thrid or fourth post down. What ever digital you get you' ll like it
Old 02-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. I don' t need super picture quality or zoom, but I would like a fairly clean image...not boxed or blurred. I have an SLR (Nikon F90 with several lenses, that I can use for picture, art or blow ups), this is also our main camera for trips, family, photo art, etc. I don' t take this baby with me for obvious reasons: to expensive, bulky, heavy and no real need.

My thought have been maybe one of these low modeled digitals is the way to go and would work fine for my needs. I am not going to spend big dollars, as I have enough invested in my SLR and Video Camera. I heard some say the HP 318 takes pretty poor pictures, but these are individuals that are using it as their base or main picture taker, so I understand their comments/concern. But this clearly not my case. You mentioned Cannon, I believe they had a 3 pixel unit, not sure model or price. I am going to check it out.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a fujifinepix a200 2.0 mega pixel that my wife won for $ 1.oo at a school function after I bought her a 4.0 Olympus just two weeks before.(She did' nt know) anyway the fugi list for about 200. and shoots great pictures. Better than I' ll ever have use for.would recomend it to any one. Has features I haven' t even tried yet. ex. night shooting. low light etc. also 20&80 sec movie.So now she got the Olympus and claimed the fuji just wouldn' t leave ANY camera in a hot truck.