Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 New highpowered rifle--lightweight...choices? >

New highpowered rifle--lightweight...choices?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New highpowered rifle--lightweight...choices?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 PM

Default New highpowered rifle--lightweight...choices?

I'm in the market to get a .243 but am stuck between a few brands.

• Browning A-bolt micro hunter
• Remington Model Seven CDL
• Ruger M77 Mark II

While I want to stay in favor with my future father in law (he reco's the Remington) I wanted some other opinions on these gun makers. I'm a pretty short hunter (5'0, 135lb) who likes to travel fast and light. But I don't want to sacrifice quality to get a light gun.

Overall, most folks I've asked rank Remington and Browning over Ruger. I've held all 3 guns, and the remington and browning feel the best. I'm intrigued by the Ruger and have heard some good things about it, but man, it felt too light, and too thin!

While I think LOP is important for quick shot acquisition for shotgunning, it's not that important for rifle hunting. The LOP on both the Remington and Browning are similar, the Ruger is way smaller and has less drop at comb and at heel than the REM or BRWN. The latter is what makes me keep considering the Ruger. I plan on mounting a scope on the rifle and am thinking I want a small drop at comb and at heel to keep my eye in line with the scope.

Am I putting too much emphasis on the drop at comb on the Ruger? If it's not that important to properly using the scope, then I'll forget the Ruger all together. Then the choice is down to Remington and Browning—which of these guns is better? Which gunmaker is better? Which has better customer service?

And since the drop at heel is so small on the Ruger, doesn't that mean it's more of a straight stock so the recoil will go straight back instead of directed downward? That might be another reason to forget the Ruger. I know the .243 doesn't kick that much, but I hear lighter guns with a less than average drop at heel will kick more comparatively.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, advice and stories!

C
Old 04-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New highpowered rifle--lightweight...choices?

Personally, I prefer the Ruger's! Bought the wife one and she loves it (.308 not the .243 though). The recoil of the .243 should be no issue regardless of stock design. However, you do want to get the one that feels best to you. All will certainly do the job. My second choice would be the Rem. If the LOP is too long it's not a big effort to have it shortened. The smith charged me $45 to shorten and put a Pachmyr pad on the wife's gun. If you want to spend a little more, check out Kimbers. The Classic in wood is light... the Montana is even lighter. One more consideration. A Ruger 1-A (single shot) may be a great alternative to consider. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just sold another remington 700sts in 270, the last one I sold was a 30/06.....I haven't had any browning rifles (just shotguns)...I have 6 rugers in my gun safe right now and wouldn't part with any of them, the last one I bought was a 243 for my wife, this is now the rifle I grab when I go out....I love the ruger m77's.....Thats my vote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Check out the Ruger Compact in 243.. I have one in 7mm-08 and it is a sweet shooting gun.. Just needs a little trigger work from the factory. This is a really short quick handeling gun with a 16.5 inch barrell.. I also have a Model 7 in 243.. Both are great guns.. And although I am a Browning fan.. I just don't like the action on the A bolt.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

About a year ago, I bought a Ruger light weight in 308 Win. for my cousin's son. Thebarrel may seem a bit "thin" as you put it but this one shootsgreat. I have a daughter that has recently decided to get into hunting. She is very short .. 5' 1". She liked, as she put it "the cute" Ruger compact in 7mm 08 that we saw at a local shop. I was very skeptical about long range accuracy of this design because of the short barrel. I was wrong. I know 200 yards is not "long", but around here that is about the max you'll ever have a clear shot. The rifle I bought here was in 308 Win. It is a legitimate 1.25 MOA shooter. I shot several groups right at 2" at 200 yards. I rea;lize some velocity is lost with shorter barrel guns, but unless you are shootiung way, way out there, thiat loss os of little consequence. Might want to look at this design too. I did have the trigger lightened to 3.5#.It was about 2 tons from the factory.

My personal favorite rifle is a Styer Pro-Hunter "Mountain" (20" barrel) I have, also in 308 Win. The length of pull is easily adjustable by adding or removing "blocks" from the stock butt. This is the best performing rifle I have.I highly recommend the Styer.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

Have used remingtons, Wins, and Rugers. My 243 is now a Tikka t3 light and I will never go back. Shoots tighter groups than any gun I have ever owned. Silky smooth bolt, crisp adjustable trigger, light weight, balances beautifully, and comes with scope rings. I just sold my 300 win mag model 700 remington so I can replace it with a 300 Tikka T3 light also. The tikka's are made by Sakko and both are owned by Beretta. They cost little more than the others and can be found for comparable prices. If you get one you'll have no regrets, fired over 2000 rounds through mine with zero problems. I use it with 70 grain ballistic tips for varmints, which wrecks ground squirrels, and 90 grain partitions for everything else.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Was in the market for the same thing, a .243......lightweight, not sure what market you're in ....but all I could come between was...

a weatherby ultralightweight in .243, 24" barrel, 5.75lbs, its a sweet swetup, fluted stainless black barrel. its what I chose....

otherse I considered were a Kimber montana I think it was, lightweight as well, synthetic....22" barrel, didnt care too much for the looks,

also considered an HS precision etc...etc....

I figured why spend more than the weatherby in a .243 ie its the cheapest of the nice ones I sought....may want to take a look at it......Mark V weatherby ultralightweight in .243 win!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Spike

I just got a 30-06 rem synthetic stock. I like the gun. the gun has no drop between 100 to 300 y.I have to pull high at 300 y by 6in to hit on the bulleye. at 100 it is dead on. You nshould try a 30-30 marlin. They work well and shot ture.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with browning in 7mm08 for these reasons-browning has 60 degree bolt throw,3 locking lugs,tang safety,concealed detachable magazine,magazine spring is X shape instead of W spring(more reliable),comes factory glass bedded and free floated barral,extremely smooth bolt travel,target crown,wood stock has tough epoxy finish,7mm08 is a LOT more versaitle with very little added recoil over .243.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 AM
BKC

I like mt rem mod 700sps 270 wsm had some probs with the magizine box but they fixed that and I'm back in love with it

Quick Reply: New highpowered rifle--lightweight...choices?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.