Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 I want to get into black powder this  year and I need suggestions >

I want to get into black powder this year and I need suggestions

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

I want to get into black powder this year and I need suggestions

Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 AM

Default I want to get into black powder this year and I need suggestions

I am thinking of getting a TC Triumph but was wondering if any body else had a favorite smoke pole they would recommend. I have never wanted to hunt with black powder before but the two weeks between bow and rifle season are painful and I need to fill that time with hunting. This is open to any advice about brand/model to types of powder and slugs you use.

Thanks!
PikeHunter
Old 02-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I want to get into black powder this year and I need suggestions

Anthing TC is fine. Triumph or Omega is being talked high on another forum . Priced right as well.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM

I love my Omega and it wasnt to pricey.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

Get one that is easy to clean and disassemble w/o a gazillion parts!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

i love my Traditions Pursuit Pro. i flawlessly harvested 2 bucks with it this year.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Claydee....what do you consider too many parts? The triumph seems like it is pretty easy but I don't want to spend and arm and a leg because muzzle loading season is only about two weeks in South Carolina and I doubt I'll shoot it much outside of hunting. For those of you with the value minded black powder guns what has been your experience with the less expensive models?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

If your interest is just adding to hunting season, take the easy way as much as possible. Get an inline with a good cleaning system. Use a 209 primer or another modern primer system. Use Pyrodex pellets and sabot rounds. Get a good "quickload" system.

There are many more traditional approaches, but they are much harder. For example I shoot a Lyman Great Plains with Minie's, FFg black powder, a tube type quick shot, etc. Sure it is faster than what our founding father's used, but it is much harder than a slick modern smokepole.

A good multiline scope is also a good idea when going modern.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I like my Omega, shoots great,easy an fast to load and easy to clean.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Knight KRB Rolling Block. Good as it gets for $300.Take a look in the blackpowder forum here.Many people have them and are very satisfied. And you don't need to mortgage the farm to buy one.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i love my Traditions Pursuit Pro. i flawlessly harvested 2 bucks with it this year.
Traditions and CVA both make acceptable quality MLs for very low prices, my personal favorite rifle is a .54 caliber Traditions Buckhunter pro my wife bought me for Xmas in '99. I use plain ol' patched roundballs in it even though it's 1 in 48" twist will accomodate sabots, and ordinary and easy to find Pyrodex RS loose powder. The pellets are nice, but they're expensive andmay not create a charge that your ML likes compared to a customized load with loose powder.You don't need a $400-700 ML just to hunt two weeks a year, start with something inexpensive and then decide if you want to invest in a higher grade rifle later. I've also found that when it comes to inlines a 209 primer is usually overkill, and can even push your charge and bullet a bit before full ignition is acheived, which can create hazardous pressure in the barrel. A #11 or musket cap is plenty in an inline, and you can easily seal the cap from the weather with a drop of candle wax before going out. Keeping your nipple and flame channel cleanensures that ordinary caps will be all you'll ever need. If you must go with a 209 primer because the models you're considering require themuse the ones for .410 shotguns, their pressure is lower and they will ignite any powder easily.

Quick Reply: I want to get into black powder this year and I need suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.