Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Handheld GPS Unit

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Handheld GPS Unit

I am in the market for a new GPS. I want to be able to hook to my pc and upload to google earth and manage my points and tracks. I don't have a phd in GPS and I am not looking to get one. I like the Magellan Triton 400 but, I am not sure if it will upload to Google Earth. Is anyone familiar with this unit or is there one that you would recommend?

I will be using this for hunting (various states), and managing my hunting club as far as property lines, hunting stands, points of interest's, etc....

Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Handheld GPS Unit

I believe one of the best ones out now are these: http://www.delorme.com//about/reviews/PN20_GPSReview.htm

I'll be getting one of these before spring!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always liked Garmins over Magellans for ease of use. Unfortunately, they quit making the old 12XL that served me so well a few years ago - including a year-long vacation in Mesopotamia. The eTrex I replaced it with doesn't have NEAR the antenna and is continually losing sight of the sky. They're both pretty easy to use, though I have no idea whether the eTrex willtake a Google Earth download.

Go try a few different brands out at the store, though. See which ones will meet your selection criteria (Google Earth download) and are the easiest to use. Next, make sure you have a topo map and good lensatic compass as backup - and carry extra batteries.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Have the garmin 60CSx and love it easy to use and can upload or download on pc. drop 25 feet out of treestand(by accident) and no problem took a lick and kept on ticking.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 PM

I've decided to go with the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. It was a little more than I was wanting to spend but, it has everything that I was looking for. Thanks for your help.

GEAUX TIGERS
National Champs 1958 2003 2007