HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   New "Improved" Tree Lounge (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/22468-new-improved-tree-lounge.html)

oldelkhunter 01-30-2003 10:59 AM

New "Improved" Tree Lounge

Anyone have one and how does it compare with the old one.

Woodrow88 01-30-2003 10:36 PM

RE: New "Improved" Tree Lounge

I have one and its a great stand. It is the most comfortable, safest stand I have ever went up a tree in. You can sit in it all day. I have the bow hunting adapter on mine so its about 24 pounds. Only bad thing about it is its a little noisy getting on the tree and takes a few minutes longer. Also its not real great for bow hunting, standing out there on the end of that stand is a little unsettling to say the least. Gonna have to get me a bow hunting stand this year. For gun hunting ya cant beat it.

oldelkhunter 01-31-2003 06:27 AM

Woodrow what kind of trees do you climb with it...and do you use the leveler? I have both and the older model is definitely the better and safer climber...the new one slips on sweet gum and or any hard barked trees and does well on pine.

Woodrow88 01-31-2003 05:07 PM

Treelounge sent me some free Bite'N blade's when they 1st came out because I called and asked if there was a problem with slipping they were trying to fix. They said no were just giving you even more gripping power? I have never had a slipping problem but the blades grip real good. No I haven't got the levelers yet. You bow hunt out of yours?

Ruger-Redhawk 02-01-2003 07:59 PM

I have both an old version and new version Treelounge.I hunt in SE Georgia and climb pines. My old version has never slipped in the ten years I own it. My new version has slipped several times, once about 4 feet before it recaught the tree. The stand was damaged and TL replaced it @ n/c.That was the first time that stand had ever been put on a tree.I have Levelers on both mine. Not on the footclimber section but on the stand itself. IMHO the Levelers are a waste of money and I don't trust them.When my stand took that 4' drop I had the Leveler on and I believe it broke causing it to slip.I still have them on both stands but have been debating if I should keep them on or not.The Levelers(the two I have) don't open evenly. One side always hangs up.I have to pull the one side trying to get it to open evenly.I have even removed the powder coat from under the Leveler and it still hangs up.I went as far as putting a 1/4" fender washer between the stand and where the Leveler meets the stand.It still hangs up.I also complained to TL about the new version slipping. I was sent a set of the Bite-n-blades. NOTE ! These blades are not to be used with the Leveler.I have to admit on the footclimber it does hold the tree allot better with the blade installed.I think one of the most useful accessories TL has is the Bow Hunting adapter and the safety belt.The new version is easier to climb with if you can avoid the slippage. I found if you give a bounce on the seat section and climber as setting them back on the tree it helps considerably avoiding these slips.I have a couple ideas why these new versions don't hold as well as the old versions. The weight is one reason and the redesign of the "Vee" section using semi rounded aluminum instead of the flat angle.I personally feel safer on the old version, even though TL claims the new version is lighter and stronger.
Ruger Redhawk

..... A Proud NRA Life Member since 1977 .....Ruger Redhawk

oldelkhunter 02-03-2003 07:26 AM

I definitely feel a whole lot safer in the old version...I think if you make the same mods...the locking pin and the locking knobs and kept everything square that the stand would have been. The leveler was a waste of money. We are going to retrofit the 3 old TL's we own and get rid of the new one.

oldelkhunter 02-03-2003 09:07 AM

Woodrow..I don't bow hunt out of mine...I am thinking it would probably be safer with the bowhunting package added to it.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-03-2003 11:27 AM

oldelkhunter, You and I agree allot here about these TreeLounges.I like the old version allot better even though I use the new version more often.The Levelers are a waste of money. After posting my reply on here the other day I decided to email TL about the Levelers.I explained what I had done and that they still won't open evenly.I was asked to send the back to them and they would see where the problem lies.That they would either repair them if possible or replace them.I have one here at home and one at my camp in GA.In my email to them I mentioned I wish it was within the 30 return period, that I would return them for a refund.Another thing I did that might interest you.That sling seat was so low it was hard to get out of .I didn't want to cut the trampolene material.I did one end at a time. I got bigger Sheet metal screws and took the seat loose. I had to drill the holes out a little for the bigger SM Screws.I made one complete wrap of the seat material around the flat bar which holds and reinforces the seat in place.I did both ends the same way. Probably could gotten away with only doing the one end. You'll have to be the judge.I sit higher now. Allot easier to get in and out.Treelounge has good ideas,they just have to fine tune them.The bow hunting adapter is well worth the money. I haven't bow hunted in a long time. I use mine during the entire BP season and modern gun.Once you get use to it you'll be lost without it.One last thing Oldelkhunter.If you are seriously going to sell your new version let me know what you want for them. There are a couple guys at work that would or might be interested in them. Thanks Ruger Redhawk

oldelkhunter 02-04-2003 06:41 AM

Ruger---I hunt in Cental Alabama and that is where our camp is. My buddy sold the new one to a gunsmith he knows who has a complete machine shop and he is going to make some mods to it or end up selling it himself. The gunsmith is 5'5 and the new stand will suit him better. I was cramped in the new model but not in the old model.y We(hunt club) are probably going to buy a couple of more used ones, they are in the paper all the time. We haven't quite decided yet. Weight is not an issue since we hunt private land and chain the sob's to trees so they don't walk off. If we buy the old stands we will probably get bowhunting adapters for them. All in All it left me with a bad experience ...good thing I used the old ones otherwise I would really have it in for TL.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-04-2003 07:48 AM

Oldelkhunter, Thanks for the reply. I just thought I would ask about the stands you might sell.I don't know if these guys would have bought them or not but I thought I could help all concerned.I bought my New Version a couple years ago when I received an email offering them in the "Goodwill program" they had.I paid 199.95 NIB.Not a demo they offer from time to time.I have a sneaky feeling with as many complaints TL is receiving ,that the old version might reappear.Once I'm turned around and settled in I'm okay with the new version, it's the ascending and descending where I've had my problems.I was coming down when my stand fell that approx 4' drop.(Yah! I almost had to change my draws.)I make sure now I use that Mickey Mouse Cable setup that comes with the new version.I had just taken it loose when it gave way and slipped.It's a shame the way we have to lock these stands. A few of us lease property in S.E. Ga.Even there I lock my ladders stands which stay out the whole season.My TL's I'll put on tree. I might leave it over night but if I'm not going to use it right away I take it down.To big a gamble to leave it out.We know there are the locals going out there when we are gone back home.That's hard to control,but I sure don't want to supply them with hunting equipment too.I hope you find some old versions.If I find another one locally I have to grab it..
Ruger Redhawk

oldelkhunter 02-04-2003 08:31 AM

You know this may explain why there are so many "New" tree lounges out on E-bay. My buddy bought 3 old ones for 450 bucks for the batch in Alabama..That was money well spent.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-04-2003 08:43 AM

If it isn't the whole reason,I'm sure it a good part of it.That was quite a buy 3 old versions for 450.00. I'm sure the old version values will increase as the get scarce.My thought TL was foolish dropping the old version. If nothing else they should have kept both models and give their customers a choice.Seems like Coca Cola made that costly mistake some years back.The new Coke is gone and the Original is back.I wouldn't doubt if TL doesn't do the same.Where is Bob Hice when you really need him LOL.
Ruger Redhawk

oldelkhunter 02-04-2003 12:46 PM

Yep he bought those three for an unbelievable price and they were in good condition 2 I used while I hunted there along with the "Killer stand". Only thing he didn't get was the wedges so he built them himself.I was looking at that Docs Recliner but it looks too complicated.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-04-2003 01:42 PM

It's been awhile but I did look at Doc's Recliner site.I don't remember that much about them. I'll have to check back in their site.I saw a neat climber in GA but never did get the name of it. I know it was made in St. Augustine FL.but never got the companies name either.It looked real comfortable. What I didn't care for is you face the tree instead of away from it.It comes in a couple different sizes. They have a 250# cap model and a 350#. The store only had the lighter weight one which was around 259.00. About the same as a basic TL. It's was like the original TL unpainted.That's another thing TL now powder coats the new versions.Apparently they don't prepare the aluminum or even clean it very well. My stand has bubbles and the paint has peeled.I asked TL if the sell them un-powder coated. No! all of them are coated.I'll keep an eye open for the ideal stand.It's doubtful there is a perfect stand but there definately has to be one better then the new version TL...............
Ruger Redhawk

oldelkhunter 02-05-2003 07:52 AM

When my brother showed up this year at hunting camp he got a ribbing for buying a Summit Revolution and the rest of us using TL's. At the end of the week I wished I had bought one of those instead of a new TL.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-05-2003 11:10 AM

The new one's are or were a big disappointment.Once I findout what that other stand I saw was I'll be checking into it.Facing the tree or not.
Ruger Redhawk

Ruger-Redhawk 02-07-2003 07:27 PM

Oldelkhunter, Incase you're interested Ebay # 2707042748 is an old version TL with some accessories. Ends 2/9 @ 11:20 pst. High bid now is 157.00. I'm debating biding but really don't need it. It has the old bow hunting adapter. It's located in Tenn.
Ruger Redhawk

Edited by - ruger-redhawk on 02/09/2003 15:37:09

oldelkhunter 02-12-2003 06:46 AM

Thanks for the info Ruger...I am now debating A Docs Recliner

Anthony Hunter 02-13-2003 06:44 AM

RE: New " Improved" Tree Lounge

:)

Deleted User 02-15-2003 06:25 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Ruger-Redhawk 02-16-2003 12:44 PM

Hey Darryl good to see here. I believe it is the Gun -Slinger but haven' t been able to find any inf. about it. I highly do recommend getting those Bit-n-blades.It has really helped my foot climber grab the tree.If you haven' t had a slipping problem with your New Version TL count yourself lucky.I was at a gun shop in Georgia and they were talking about different stands. The TL was mentioned and not much good was said about it.I trying to get more inf about Doc' s Recliner.I have another post on this forum and so far no comments.If you happen to know the name of the company that makes the GUN-SLINGER,please let me know. I know it' s made in St. Augustine FL. Thanks
Ruger Redhawk

Ruger-Redhawk 02-25-2003 01:11 PM

I got the information I was looking for about the Gun-Slinger climber.For those interested : JRH Sport Industries,Inc. 6550 State Road 16, St Augustine Florida 32092 (904) 940-3381. I have a brochure on the way.I' m anxious to see what they have to offer.
Ruger Redhawk

oldelkhunter 02-25-2003 02:02 PM

Thanks for the info Ruger my brother doesn' t live very far from there I' ll have him check them out for me.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-25-2003 03:48 PM

oldelkhunter,I received the brochure from Doc' s recliner. Looks like a nice stand. Very similar to our favorite the TL.It only has a 280 pound weight capacity.With my rifle and stuff I would just exceed that weight limit.I talked to a guy who has a Doc' s Recliner.He said it is comfortable but very hard to descend with.He said you have to lean away from the tree to come down.I' ve heard the same about the Treelounge being hard to ascend and descend.With a little practice it becomes very easy.Let me know what you think of the Gunslinger when you talk to your brother.They' ll send you a free brochure.
Ruger Redhawk

bowhuntin1 02-27-2003 09:11 AM

After seeing all these post aren' t I just so happy that I didn' t sell my Summit Viper and buy the Lounger. Not one slip or sway in years of hunting outta my Vipe. :D

Ruger-Redhawk 02-27-2003 08:31 PM

bowhuntin1 It' s the new Model Treelounge where the problems are. The old models are still tops on my list.I debating on the Gun-slinger.Looks like a nice stand except for facing the tree.If it wasn' t for that I would have already ordered it. Happy Climbing.
Ruger Redhawk

Ruger-Redhawk 03-04-2003 04:23 PM

On another Hunting site there is a gentleman who is working or will be with Treelounge about these issues.Apparently TL knows there is a problem with the new versions and are trying to correct it.Talk of redesigning the vee section. There' s also talk about the Levelers too!Hopefully TL will correct these problem. It would be nice to get a upgrade kit to correct the ones already in use.Something is in the works. I would like to be able to use my new version without the fear of slipping.I' ll keep it posted as I hear anything.
Ruger Redhawk

bowhuntin1 03-05-2003 07:22 PM

No thanks.....I' ll just stay with my nice solid as a rock Viper while they toy with fixing their flaws.

No slips....shifts......squeeks.........just too dang comfy to stay awake. :D

oldelkhunter 03-07-2003 02:42 PM

Bowhuntn1...there is no finer stand or more comfortable stand made then the original tree lounge. only gripe I have with them is weight ..your viper is not even on the same planet say what you want...My brother owns a revolution and it is not on the same planet as an old TL either and that is their top of the line...TL went a little overboard on the new stand and didn' t get some stuff right but I am sure in time it will be fixed...meanwhile I have the old one(s) to use and will continue to do so until I can find something better...nothing in the Summit line is worth wasting my time or money.

Ruger-Redhawk 03-07-2003 03:40 PM

I second that oldelkhunter. It will be a long time before someone makes a more comfortable stand then the old model TL. I' m still waiting to hear what TL is going to do about the new version. It should be intresting.
Ruger Redhawk

Indiana Dude 03-07-2003 08:32 PM

I third that one, nothing I`ve hunted from comes close to the tree lounge.

bowhuntin1 03-07-2003 09:36 PM

Guys..guys..guys......I like my Vipe and you all like your TL. Haven' t seen a post yet where everybody was voicing all these problems with their Summits. :D
I will not go back to wingnut mounted stands......there are better systems for attaching your stand to a tree and I have one of them.