Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Who uses Tree Steps

Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Who uses Tree Steps

Whats the best tree step or what is the most popular. I don't like the screw in kind. This is my first use of a Hang on Stand. I normaly use a Climber.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who uses Tree Steps

Get a stick ladder.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

make sure you are careful if you have a stick ladder those things like to wobble

Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

If you do decide to try screw in steps make sure and buy some Cranford Ezy Climb.......best made IMO. Much easier to screw in and out, strong and safe.

If you want climbing sticks that you can take out with you each trip, Lone Wolf climbing sticks.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

For screw-in steps, I prefer the once piece "rod" type step over the folding variety. I agree with Cougar mag on the Cranford steps, but they are the most expensive steps on the market. Gorilla brand bought out the company that I suggest getting. These steps are made in the USA and are the rod type of steps and have a small tapered screw like the Cranfords, (but are much cheaper), which making installing very easy compared to the large blunt end Grizzly steps!! Stay away from those!!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Check your Reg's! They are illegal on Public Land in FL......
Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM

I would encourage anyone to use any decent climbing stick that is on the market vs. a screw in step. Screw in style is hard on trees, if the property is timbered it can effect the value of the timber, and IMO think they are far more dangerous. Worst thing you can do is leave them in the tree from year to year.

I used them for years because that was all we had. If you are going to use a hang on style stand I recommend sticks vs. screw in steps.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

I use old TV antenas. Ihave never had to pay for one most people just want them gone. I have 7-8 lock on stands up with the antenas as my ladder.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:48 AM

I really like the individual strap on steps. Faster to put up than a screw-in, though probably not as fast as the climbing sticks (haven't used them). You can also take the last 3 or so down easily if you want to discourage others from getting to your stand. They are more portable than climbing sticks, and take up just a little more room in your pack than screw-in steps. The biggest disadvantage is that you are limited to the size tree you can wrap the step around. You'll run into that issue with climbing sticks as well. Another downside is the cost. They are in the same price range as the climbing sticks, though you can sometimes find discounts online after the season.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a set of summitt ladder steps. I really like them.

Quick Reply: Who uses Tree Steps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.