Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Insulated vs Not insulated

Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Insulated vs Not insulated

I have a pair of Cabelas Outfitter boots (uninsulated) for all my hunting needs and a pair of pack boots that I use for when it's really nasty. I've never had a pair of insulated hunting boots but it seems that all that I look at have anywhere from 200 grms to 1000 grms of insulation in them. My feet stay warm when I hunt and I use the same boots in all seasons. I always wear a thick hunting sock and a liner. Where I hunt in CO it is usually shirt sleave or single layer weather during the day and freeze your but off weather at night.

Here's my question, if I get a boot with minimal (200 gr) insulation, am I not going to be able to wear these in the summer or early fall? Are my feet going to sweat big time? I'm just not sure how effective this isulation is. Do most of you have 2 sets of boots?

Spud
Old 11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Insulated vs Not insulated

I use my 400 gram Cabelas boots (going on 8 years old, second pair) for almost all of my hunting down to about 28 degrees (treestand hunting, so no movement)with good socks, after that I throw on the pack boots.
It sounds like you are doing fine with uninsulated, but 200-400 doesn't seem to make that much of a difference vs. uninsulated, maybe a 10-15 degree comfort range.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Insulated vs Not insulated

I have5 pair of rubber LaCrosse boots that I use for hunting and ice fishing here (I live in deep snow country of New England). One pair is uninsulated,two have 800 gr another has1200 gr and the last are the ice kings when it gets really cold on the ice. I have a pair of uninsulated Cabelas leather boots for warm weather hunting like small game and a pair of 400 gram insulated leather Danner Goretex for hunting the rockies for elk. I feel any insulated boot would be too hot to wear during early season warm weather especially when you need to do some walking.