Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

boot choice

Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Default boot choice

Im looking into buying a new pair of boots and i cant decide whether i should buy rubber boots or traditional lace up boots. I hunt a relatively large piece of land and there is lots of climbing steep slopes and long distances covered. I am worried that rubber boots will move around too much on my feet and be uncomfortable during a long hunt. Is this the case? Is it true that rubber boots really give you that much of an advantage when it comes to being scent-free? I want a pair of boots that i will be able to use to sit in my treestands but also to cover long distances on moderate to rough terrain. Any input or reccomendations on boots would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: boot choice

I like LaCrosse 18" burleys and have used them for years in Vermont, New Hampshire, New York,Maine and Newfoundland. They are great especially when hunting in snow. I don't have any trouble with support or traction and they are quite warm if you like to sit. Getting a good fit is important though and I like the 800 gram insulation for hunting and the 1200 for ice fishing.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check into Schnees (Bozeman, Montana). Best boots I have ever used... going on 7 years now. They are very comfortable, have replaceable liners and don't "shuck" around on my feet when walking. My other suggestion would be Muck boots. They are also great!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the input. bugsNbows- i am familiar with Muck boots, but im not sure how warm they will keep my feet on cold days. Again thanks for the input. This site is great for getting tips and info from fellow hunters.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just recently picked up a new pair of the LaCrosse Alpha Iceman pak boots. Boy was I disappointed!! After only 2-3 hrs in a treestand, my feet get very cold!! (I had an old pair of Boundary pak boots for the last 20 years and the only reason I decided on getting a new pair was that the leather would make a squeaking noise when moving?)
These new LaCrosse boots cost me $140.00, and were suppose to be good to 125 degree's below zero!! LOL!!! What a joke!! I'm taking them back to Gander Mountain today!!
[:@]
Old 11-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

I haveMuck for about 4 years now and they keep my feet warm down to around freezing, then I use boot blankets with them. Main thing is no cotton socks.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

i've got mucks for short walks on cold days.but i always liked the lace up boots for walking i need good ankle support i twist ankles stepping on pebbles.
had rockys expedition(i think)they were great and herman leather boots many years ago they did good just dontput on to many socks and crowd your feet.leave room for toe movement.
my mucks just dont handle the rough stuff like leather boots,they are warm and good for crossing creeks but walking in mud they come off my feet.the rubber cracks by the toes where they meet your feet after miles of use and they puncture to easily,just my findings

use lace ups for walking to the stand then change into mucks at the stand.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 PM

I know that I'm saving up for a pair of Schnees Hunters...quality leather boots made in the USA
Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 AM
Banned

VT outdoorsman,

I bought a pair of snake boots from BASS-PRO last year and I am very happy with them. I live in the Champlain Islands, hunt Vermont, NH and Maine for deer and turkey with them. Very lightweight, water proof and warm enough if you are on the move. Best feature is that they zip up so easy on easy off. About $100 right now, I believe I got them on sale for $85 spring of '06. These are warmer than rubber boots, yet cool enough for spring turkey.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._58009?cmCat=C

Regards, VTgao
Old 11-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

i bought rubber this year i love them there more comfortable, warm and they have less sent. Just make sure you make them tight around the top of your leg to keep the heat in, it helps.

Quick Reply: boot choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.