Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS around $100 range

Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default GPS around $100 range

I'm going to buy my dad a GPS and I would like to keep in the $100 range. I've been looking at those etrex, any thoughts?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 PM

Default RE: GPS around $100 range

Magellan eXplorist series has a model around $100 brand new (100 or 110 eXplorist). You can also get a refurbished eXplorist 500 on ebay for around $150. I have had an explorist 200 and 500 and loved both.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM

i hace the etrex... works good, can't put maps on it or anything like that but it will get you back if your lost. has a backlight and stores alot of waypoints and it's easy to use.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ajax

i hace the etrex... works good, can't put maps on it or anything like that but it will get you back if your lost. has a backlight and stores alot of waypoints and it's easy to use.
Ditto! It has a few features I like. One is it gives the gps cor. of the places stored. Good for pinpointing your location on maps. Also has a clock and sunrise \sunset time. Compass works well. Need to keep the batteries in good condition. Saw one recently for 70 bucks.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

garmin gps72 from bass pro around $100.00.me and my kid use ours all the time from hunting to geocaching
Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 AM

Both would work but I have an objection to both the etrex and the Explorist Gps. The joystick doesn't work well on my explorist, so navigation is difficult, I don't know if they all have this problem, or just mine. Also, the first modle in the etrex series dosn't have a joystick, which my friend who has it really hates. If you can get the next modle up in the etrex series that would be better, since it has a joystick for navigation I believe. Also, I havn't used one, but I would really recomend a Garmin GPS 60 series, they are a little more expensive, but you could probably find one use and it would be well worth your money. The Garmin GPS 60 series would be my recommendation, but if you are going to choose between the Explorist and the Etrex, I would go with the Explorist.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: millerir

Both would work but I have an objection to both the etrex and the Explorist Gps. The joystick doesn't work well on my explorist, so navigation is difficult,
Idon't know what a joystick on a hand held gps is. I've never seen one with one, all buttons.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM

I've had my Garminetrex for about 7 years. It's very durable & reliable. It's been dropped several times, gotten wet several times, used in freezing temperatures, and still looks good & functions well.

I reccomended this GPS to one of my buddies who just started hunting. To me, it has every featureI need, very little that I don't need, and the best feature is that it's very easy to operate. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no "electronic" compass (you have to bemoving for the compass to work), but to get that you have to pay more.

I'm convinced the etrex is the best bang for your $100
Old 10-02-2007, 08:11 AM

If all you are trying to do is "find the truck" a Magellan 100 is all you need. We grouse hunt the big woods in Northern WI. so I bought a Gold series Magellan. It has a lot of bells and whistles that I never use. $100.00 unit is perfect for K.I.S.S.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

I've used a number of GPS's and for that price range the Explorist works very well especially in wooded heavy canopy areas.

Quick Reply: GPS around $100 range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.