Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Recommendations for a GPS

Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Recommendations for a GPS

I am looking for a GPS to map my properties and trails. I would like to be able to download maps of them to my computer and possible calculate acreage. I would also like to use on boat for Lake Michigan salmon fishing in the summer. Any recommendations?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Recommendations for a GPS

I have veiwed an earthmate pn- 20 and I think it would be great for this. You can also download stuff to put on an sd card for future use..If you want you can check it out at delorme.com to see if it is what you may be looking for.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 AM

I would suggest either a Garmin, or something from lawrance. I have used a Garmin GPS 12 for just about 10 years now. Garmin makes a great product, that is really, really user friendly and easy to learn. Now, mine is a little older, so I don't have the map things that you are looking for. However, their newer models do.
The other that i suggested Lawrance (might have the spelling a little off) I have a dash mounted version on my boat. I know that you can download maps to it. It is completly computer downloadable. These too are very user friendly. I trust my life with the Garmin in the woods, and my life with the Lawrance on the Ocean.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Garmin has a lot to do to catch up with the all new earthmate my friend..
Old 07-30-2007, 06:50 AM

No doubt it may be better. I have never used it. Just reccommended what I have now and have been really happy with. Please understand, I can't or wont say Garmin is the best. What I have works for what I need it to, so I have never invested in anything newer in the handheld department. It may be time when I get back from overseas to look for something newer.
I will certainly look into the earthmate. Thanks