Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Which Motorola 2-Way Radio to Buy? >

Which Motorola 2-Way Radio to Buy?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which Motorola 2-Way Radio to Buy?

Old 12-30-2002, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which Motorola 2-Way Radio to Buy?

I am looking to buy a new pair of Motorola 2-way radios to use during hunting season. I know there are many models of the Talkabout radio and I would appreciate some advice on which model would be the best to buy. I will be using the radios in upstate New York in primarily wooded areas and would be less than 2 miles from my partner at all times. I would greatly appreciate any input on which model would be the best for my needs and would like to hear about any personal experience with the model. Thanking everyone in advance for your help and recommendations.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:13 PM

Default RE: Which Motorola 2-Way Radio to Buy?

i use tha talkabout distance dps. they work great at over 1 mile away. it says they have a range of about 5 miles. i have used them up to 3 miles. great and easy to use.there are some good deals on ebay for them
Old 12-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the distance model and have the 250's also that I had before .E-bay is where I got mine it just takes awhile to get a deal .
Old 12-30-2002, 06:05 PM

o got 2 talkabout distane dps here in the classifides section for $125. that included new batteries
Old 12-31-2002, 12:00 AM

I use a pair of motorola frs t 5100's. i think $40 a pair. i saw at wally world a pair of motorolas for $34.
for what they do they are great. i have talked from about two miles with them.
It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 01-05-2003, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

For you that have bought the GMRS system. How much hassle and cost is involved in getting the radios licensed? Also, do you prefer replaceable batteries or rechargeable? I want to be able to take them on a backpack trip of 4-6 days, and don't know if the rechage ones will last the trip even if you don't use them continuously.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

5820's are great 2 way radios to go with. Can be used for 2 or 5 mile range. After rebate they're about $80. I'd recommend them.
Visit My Updated Hunting Page
Old 01-16-2003, 11:55 AM

txhunter58:

You can apply for a GMRS license directly from the FCC website. I think it is $75 for five years.

I have the Motorola Distance DPS GMRS radio. The rechargeable battery lasts about one day of standard use. The six AA batteries will last 2-3 days per set. When hunting away from home, I use the rechargeable battery on the first day or so until it runs out then switch to AA's for the rest of the trip.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001
Old 01-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not just do it right and get licensed for ham radio? It is not hard to pass the test and you DO NOT have to know morse code for the "technician" license. The radios are MUCH more versatile and your "talk distances" for handsets are typically about 5 miles (can be much more). I can set my "walkie talkie" in such a way that I can talk to somebody about hundred miles off.

The license costs less than $10.00 and is renewble (without taking another test) after 10 years.

Check with your local Radio Shack and they can get you the book to get started and probably get you in touch with a ham who would be glad to show you his equipment and explain the expanded capabilities and privelidges.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Which Motorola 2-Way Radio to Buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.