Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

lone wolf vs. summit

Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 PM

Default lone wolf vs. summit

I currently have a summit backpacker climber and i like it. I need to purchase a second stand for this season to let my brother use when he visits. I'd love to have a ladder stand or a hang on but i just do not trust leaving my gear out these since it is not my property so the climber is my best option.

I am trying to decide between a Summit open shot or a lone wolf alpha climber. Who can give me their lone wolf climber review? It's $100 price difference!

Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 AM

Default RE: lone wolf vs. summit

I do not own and have never used a Lone Wolf, but have read/heard nothing but very good things about them, such as light weight and solid construction. I do have a summit bullet backpacker climber and like it very much. In my opinion you likely couldn't go wrong with either brand.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Go with the Lone Wolf alpha hang on. You can purchase extra quick straps that you just hang on different trees and that way you can just pack your stand in along with the climbing sticks, hang your stand and when your done, just unhook your stand and head out.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:20 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Have never used a Summit but I have a Lone Wolf Sit-n-Climb. It is a great stand but does have some drawbacks.

Pros: It is very light and easy to pack. Very easy to attach to the tree in the dark and also very quiet to get hooked on. Once set the thing is rock solid, it doesn't move or make a sound except occasionallythe seat (I'll get to that). Climbs well, easy to use. I think the best part about the stand is that it is so solid once set and you can't even get the thing to make noise, even if you try.

Cons: Comfort, this stand doesn't have it, especially if you are a big guy. I'm 6' 00' and 210 lbs and the stand is too small for me. It is not made for all day sits. It starts to get might uncomfy after 4 hrs or so. The seat can also be a problem,I don't have much room between the rails. I have to be very careful when I stand up otherwise my pants will catch a rail and pull up on the seat and then the entire seat drops. The buckles on my safety harness will also hit the seat rails and make noise.

I think by reading literature about the guy that designed the Lone Wolf, and how the stand is made, it was desinged to be easy to get in set up hunt and then get out. The Summit stands would be much better suited from a comfort standpoint. The Lone Wolf, at least IMO, is more of a specialty design. It is a great stand and well worth the money but for what it sounds like you want the Summit may be a better option.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM

Well today on the way home work i stopped by my local outdoor store and picked up the lone wolf alpha hang-on and a set of lone wolf climbing sticks. I think it's going to be a killer set-up. It seems like an easy to use combo. Much more options than the climber gives me. I'm confident it will fit well in my arsenal. Now just to decide if i will carry it all in with me each time or if i will perhaps leave the hang on up and detach the first set or 2 of sticks to make theft a little more work.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

The Pharmacist,

Welcome! to the club. You know you can leave the quick strap in the tree and just detach the stand.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 AM

Way to step up to the plate and get a LW. Once you get good w/ hanging it you won't find a need for a climber as much. You'll be able to put the LW up ANY tree in just about the same time and quietness. Just trim your stands out here in aug. and bring your setup w/ ya everytime in the fall to hunt. It's easy!

Sure they aren't lazy boys you can lay back in, they are just accessories to help you kill.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 AM
CRP

Good luck with your LW it's a good stand. I have both of the mentioned stands and they both have their pros and cons. The lone wolf is definitely a quiet, sturdy design!! I hope you enjoy.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. I have both a Summit Viper and 2 LW alpha hang on's and climbing sticks. You won't be disappointed in the LW!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

I own both as well. I LOVE my LoneWolf Alpha Climber, just can't sit in it all day. My Summit Razor however, I can spend all day/night in it without much discomfort.

Quick Reply: lone wolf vs. summit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.