Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

best gps?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default best gps?

im in the market for a real good gps. have any of you used the i finder hunt C? what would guys reccomend. thanks Jeff smith
Old 06-12-2007, 01:56 AM

Default RE: best gps?

I have a garmin gpsmap60 csx and really like the thing. it's more expensive than the lower units but has some great features.
I bought mine through work and saved $150 but now that i have it would recommend it to anyone.
you get what you pay for but you have to think about what your going to use it for. if your going to use it only for getting to and from the stand a lower unit would work. I carry mine on trips and don't carry a map. it'll tell you exactly where you are and you won't guess!
I have run land lines and then transfer them to maps and even google earth accepts garmin data for color sat photos.

remember the mapping software is pretty expensive also so add that in on price.

i don't know if this helps but maybe something did.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I agree with the above post...it depends on the what you'll use it for but I use a Garmin as does everyone in my camp.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

what all uses do you guys use it for besides getting from point A to point B.?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:44 PM

I have every deer stand marked and transfer them to both topo map and sat photo for the club. every trail is on there also.

I have corners of lease marked and can outline the whole on both topo and sat photo.

You give me an address and I can use the gps as a map and it shows where I am while enroute.
I sometimes just take it in the truck ,I know the truck has a speedo but the gps tells me gps speed, elevation and shows where I am.

I am now going to try and gps survey a large tract I hunt that isnt painted(the land lines)

With the software your gps will show street names,exits ,what services are at that exit and much more.

I suggest you to garmins website and check it out. I love mine and I consider it to be a very useful tool.

This is my first gps so I don't know what lessors are like owning.I have no regrets with mine.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you carry a radio I would suggest the Garmin Rino Series, GPS & Radio in one. I got one last year with my Amex points. It's great for a point to point outdoor gps. It also has streets and all but the screen is a bit small to view while you are driving. I like it because it is two things I used to carry in one!!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 AM
Bartender

I like my legend and use www.expertgps.com to upload my waypoints.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I would put my vote in for the 60CSx also. If I had hunting buddies into the same stuff I would then get the new Rhino 530HCx which is basically the 60CSx but with the Rino walkie talkie functions.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Spike

I recently ( 3 months ago) bought a Lowrance i-find hunt c. I like it
alot.The color screen is awsome and the hunting specific icons are an add bonus. Once you become familiar with the unit its very easy to operate. I also puchased the mapping software which allows me to download topo maps,public hunting land, and state deer & turkey units. I find myself taking it when ever I travel.I bought the whole package on ebay for $395.00. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

If i was buying I think I would be getting a DeLorme Earthmate it has alot of features including satiliteimagining to show the real picture of where you are hunting and fishing or whatever.. Check it out at www.delorme.com... While there check out the all new PN-20 it is the top of line in hand held GPS systems..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.