Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 I need chainsaw advice(Echo vs. Stihl) >

I need chainsaw advice(Echo vs. Stihl)

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

I need chainsaw advice(Echo vs. Stihl)

Old 05-30-2007, 07:00 PM

Default RE: I need chainsaw advice(Echo vs. Stihl)

This question is really like asking what brand of bow is the best or what kind of truck is the best. Both of them are good saws, but if the Echo is cheaper I'd go with it. I promise you that you wont be dissapointed.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Being an arborist I have tried a good many saws. I have 3 stihls and one huskavarna. I think the stihl has a slight advantage over the echo but they are both good saws. If they both had the same bar size andcc's I would just go with the cheaper of the two.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: beaverdamva

Its a good powerful saw, but two years after i got it it started running rough and cutting out. After about 30 mins of checking the spark plug and so forth I realized that the fuel line was rotten and had a hole in it. I went to my dealer and showed him the rotten fuel line, he said "oh yeah I always replace the fuel lines on those saws when I am doing a tune up, they go bad". I asked him why stihl didn't change how they made the part if they were always going bad, his response, " they're only $7.50".

I wish I still had my 290 farm boss.
Wow... now that I read your response I remembered about 2 years after I bought my MS290 Farm Boss it too started to run rough and was suddenly hard to start after sitting all winter. I always run my small engines dry before putting them up and seldom have any trouble in the spring. I brought it into the shop and they said the fuel line had a hole in it and they quickly changed it out. You had the same experience so there must be a defect in that model. Mine is about 5 or 6 years old and I bought a Stihl weed whacker at thesame time and that has always run great.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

to me you cant beat a stihl or a husky
Old 06-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Huskaall the way but if not in the cards I'd pickthestihl.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:35 PM

Can't and I mean cant beat a Husky, Echos kinda suck!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:11 PM

I have a Husky in the shed that is 7 years old.

I probably should have drained the fuel out before I stored it, but I didn't and it has gotten harder to start. It even fouled out the sparkplug one day when I let it run for about 5 minutes on the ground while I was dragging brush.

I bought mine at a local Sears Repair center for about 1/2 the price of a new one. The local Sears reconditions them back to new. They usually are ones that a customer bought and took home and did not run right when it was new.

Not something with 100 hours on it.

There was not a single scratch on this saw when I bought it.

18" bar - Rancher Model and I think I paid $150 for it - with no case or tools.

The new Husky's have a bulb on the side of the case that you have to prime before you start it. It seem's to have fixxed all the old hard start problems that they had before with their older models of saws - for a person that does not use it every week or even run a tank out gas out of it in 6 months.

Sitting with old fuel seems to have a bigger effect on them than running them everyday.

Huskvarna and Stihl and Johnsered are all made by the same company.
Just that one is a industrial model and the other ( Husky) is geared more towards the homeowner / weekend firewood cutter.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

we have echos at work and they are always down. for occasional home use ive had several cheapies. bottom line is maitanance. oil- proprely mixed gas and sharp chain. drain when not in use. my cheapos always fire up.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

TURN YOUR MAN CARD IN FOR ASKING SUCH A QUESTION! In this country STIHL reigns supreme! LOL
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 PM

Maybe in Alton but in the rest of NH Husky or Jonsered is what the big boys use!!!

Quick Reply: I need chainsaw advice(Echo vs. Stihl)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.