Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS: Garmin vs. Lowrance

Old 03-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Spike

Default GPS: Garmin vs. Lowrance

I’m shopping for a GPS unit and I’ve narrowed my choices to the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and the Lowrance IFinder Hunt C. I will be using a GPS unit for highway traveling, hunting, as wildlife photographer to mark photo locations and most importantly, for my safety.

If you have one of these units, what’s your opinion? If there is one better than these, let me know and explain your reasons.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS: Garmin vs. Lowrance

I've never used a Lowrance.I'm not familar with the model you're interested in. The wife and I both have Garmin's. Her's is a C330 and mine is a newer model the C530.We are very impressed with them. However they get confused when a new road isn't completed.I'm sure all of them will do the same.On the wife's modelthey updated the plug on the mounting bracket.Her's the wire was fraided from use. One email and Garmin sent a new revised bracket for it.They do stand behind their products.To me that's worth allot. Service after the sale.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-08-2007, 08:50 PM

I own an I finder hunt c and love it , just got done mapping all my stand locations as well as feeders. One word of advice is to buy some good quality rechargeable batterys . Check out www.digitalcarte.comthey have the i finder hunt c plus for 380.00, thats about a hundred less then anywhere else. hope this helps

Pat
Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: sjpat

I own an I finder hunt c and love it , just got done mapping all my stand locations as well as feeders. One word of advice is to buy some good quality rechargeable batterys . Check out www.digitalcarte.comthey have the i finder hunt c plus for 380.00, thats about a hundred less then anywhere else. hope this helps

Pat
Thanks for your feedback. Have you used it for road travel? If so, how well did it work?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 PM

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista C, it is not too hard to operate the basic functions and theres plenty of memory. You will need to purchase the MapSource Topo for hunting, it has everything down to trails in almost every area in the US. Also for traveling the Mapsource MetroGuide is very handy, it has every street in the US as well as buisnesses and landmarks. Very simple to use, just do a search on an address and it will either guide you there or show map of route, your choice.

Your maps and waypoints can be saved by uploading onto your PC, then reload then next time you need it. Thus not using up all your memory trying to save everything on the GPS.

hope this helps......I researched for a while before purchasing and Im not sorry about my choice.

also, purchase some lithium batteries, they last much much longer than alkaline.............

Brad
Old 03-10-2007, 06:33 AM

It does road navigation fine , but its real strenth ishiking and huntinhg use
Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 60CSx and now I can not imagine living without it. I use it almost every week to auto route for business and it never misses a beat. Gets me to the right location and gives me alternates when traffic or other issues arise in front of me on the road. I bought it for deer hunting public land and it works flawlessly. I have gone in to stand locations and mark them under heavy canopy and can come back 6 months later and get right back to the same tree over a mile in the woods. The tracks you can laydown with the unit will allow you to walk within 6 to 10 feet of your original path. I can not say anything bad about the unit. I have the City Nav v8, with a scandisk 1 gig chip. I do not have the topo software since I feel it will do me no benefit. It has been with me in 90 degree weather to -10 degrees no issues and have tested the water tolorance and no issues. I would totally recommend it to anyone. ~Jeff
Old 03-13-2007, 06:36 PM

i got a lowrance ihunt c for x-mas. and it is the cat's meow! this thing is great, you get icons of tree stands, tree's, atv, camp, a buck scrape,rubs, droppings, with these one quick glance and you know where your camp or whatever is, no more looking around your screen and "reading" what it is.
you can download maps to it and then plot anything you need to right to the map.
as for road or for travel it is very nice, you can click on a exit and find motels, resteraunts sporting good stores gas stations.
i am going to alberta for a moose hunt this fall, i used the gps to find what exit to take and where to get gas and stay the night, and excact direction to the outfitters! man it is nice!
a very good choice for sure!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at both. The thing that sold me on the Garmin 60csx was thebetter receiver to lock on to satellites in heavy cover. In the past I have had issues locking in under a heavy canopy, not any more. Works great and I am very happy. I compared it in the field side by side with a friends 60 or 60c I don't remember whichand sure enought there was a noticable difference in the time it took to get a reading.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Daves300WinMag

I’m shopping for a GPS unit and I’ve narrowed my choices to the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and the Lowrance IFinder Hunt C. I will be using a GPS unit for highway traveling, hunting, as wildlife photographer to mark photo locations and most importantly, for my safety.

If you have one of these units, what’s your opinion? If there is one better than these, let me know and explain your reasons.

Thanks
Personally I would definitely go with the garmin gps. I have never actually owned a lowrance gps, but my oppinion is based on what I have read (reviews) about garmin & lowrance. Needless to say, most people like the garmin gps's better than the lowrance, and garmin has been around for longer as well. You may have to pay a bit more for the garmin, but you will get better quality and performance in my oppinion. Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth......

Quick Reply: GPS: Garmin vs. Lowrance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.