Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 J.R.H. Industires-Gunslinger Tree Stands >

J.R.H. Industires-Gunslinger Tree Stands

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

J.R.H. Industires-Gunslinger Tree Stands

Old 03-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: J.R.H. Industires-Gunslinger Tree Stands

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna buy a GS when i save some doe.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

I just received a gunslinger today. The stand is built extremely well, is very comfortable and set up is very easy. It is a large stand and seems to be somewhat cumbersome when packing. The stand does not come painted so expect this when you order it.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wayspr

I just received a gunslinger today. The stand is built extremely well, is very comfortable and set up is very easy. It is a large stand and seems to be somewhat cumbersome when packing. The stand does not come painted so expect this when you order it.
Wayspr, I might suggest when you paint it wipe it down with vinegar. It will help the paint stick.What I did was lightly sandblast mine then wiped it down with vinegar.I primed it. The paint has stuck good with the normal scratches and nicks from using it.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Ruger, I planned on scratching the surface with a scotchbrite pad and then priming with zinc chromate. What does the vinegar do to prepare the surface?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: J.R.H. Industries-Gunslinger Tree Stands

ORIGINAL: Ways

Thanks Ruger, I planned on scratching the surface with a scotchbrite pad and then priming with zinc chromate. What does the vinegar do to prepare the surface?
Wayspr, all motor homes are spray painted with a Special Paint which has an Etching Agent for Aluminum. NAPA sells it. It leaves Micro Pits in the Aluminum so the Primer adheres to it and the Paint adheres to the Primer.

When I did my Tree Lounge, I stripped it to just the frames and then I mixed 75% Water and 25% Muriatic Acid. Then I brush the frames real good with the mixture and let it workon the Aluminum for at least 30-45 mins.
After that I rinse it real good with the hose, blow it off with the air hose and hang up to let the Sun dry it good before I spray the Primer.
After the Primer drys good, I use the 4 can camo kit spray cans to design the pattern.
When all painting is dry I install the seat and or any other part that the Muriatic Acid might have ruined. I sprayed camo the bottom of the seat!What you see has been on there for 15yrs and been up at least 50 or 60 trees.

These are Krylon Fusion Paints and come in 4 can Kits! Start with a Grey Primer, let it dry good then start with the lightest color first, look at the cans, colors fromRight to Left, but after each one has dried real good.If you can't find it locally, Cabelas has it!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Rebel Hog, I appreciate the info but I got it about 1 hr to late. I just put the first coat of self etching primer made for aluminum on the stand. Prior to to putting on the primer, I sanded the entire stand with a scotchbrite pad and then wiped it down with alcohol. The primer I used came in olive green which will be a good base coat. I also got some Krylon camo paint in brown to finish it off.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

post some pic's when you're finished
Old 03-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wayspr

I read that somewhere. It must have something to do with the acid in the vinegar helps the paint adhere to the Aluminum.It might have even been in the Gunslinger manual or might have been Treelounge before they powder coated the stands I read it. Sounds like you have it under control.I know you'll like that Gunslinger.When I got my first Treelounge in 93 I used the etching primer and it worked good.Last time I went to NAPA I was told they no longer sell etching primer.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

Last time I went to NAPA I was told they no longer sell etching primer.

Ruger Redhawk
Frank, I have usedVinegar on Galvanize, but not on Aluminum.Hey, if you ever need Etching Primer or Paints, Sherwin-Williams have them! I use to buy it at Napa, but as yousay, theyno longer carry it!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

Last time I went to NAPA I was told they no longer sell etching primer.

Ruger Redhawk
Frank, I have usedVinegar on Galvanize, but not on Aluminum.Hey, if you ever need Etching Primer or Paints, Sherwin-Williams have them! I use to buy it at Napa, but as yousay, theyno longer carry it!
Thanks RH.I'll keep that in mind.

Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: J.R.H. Industires-Gunslinger Tree Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.