Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 what kind of 4 wheeler do you use? >

what kind of 4 wheeler do you use?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

what kind of 4 wheeler do you use?

Old 02-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default what kind of 4 wheeler do you use?

I'm looking at getting a new 4-wheeler for next season. I was wondering what kind you guys use. Could ya'll post some pics too and share your experiences. Thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Default RE: what kind of 4 wheeler do you use?

1988 Ford F-250 4X4.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Yamaha Grizzly. Sorry I don't have any pics to post.

My experience with it has been good. I bought it in '03, and have put about 5,500 miles on it. I like the liquid-cooled engine, the headlight configuration (keeps front rack usable after dark), the engine break, the selectable 4WD/differential locks, and the independent front and rear suspension. I've done a lot of spot spraying with it, and I have found all these features come in handy for that. The liquid-cooled engine stays cooler than an air-cooled engine when you are doing things that require you to go slow. With the engine break, I seldom use the wheel breaks. Being able to kick it out of 4WD allows me to turn sharper than a machine that can not, yet I still 4WD when I need it. Independent front and rear suspension helps take some of the bumps out of the ride, and with a spray tank on the back, it keeps me from accidentally bending or breaking an axle when I run over objects hidden in the grass.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends on what you are going to be doing with it and where you live.

I have a little air cooled 250cc 2 wheel drive Suzuki Ozark and am really happy with it. I live where there is rarely snow and I already have a 45hp Kubota tractor that I use for discing, planting, etc. so I don't really need a big work horse of an ATV.

I was also lucky to find a couple of barely used ATVs owned by an older individual and got a really good deal on them. I bought a 2004 and 2005 Suzuki 250cc that were both barely used(1 is a sport model and 1 is the Ozark) and a nice little trailer for $6,250 which is less than what one of the larger 4x4 models would go for.

The important thing is figuring out your budget andwhat you are going to use it for and buying the appropriate machine for you.

FWIW, Nathan
Old 02-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just (in November) got a new Yamaha Grizzly 700. It's a great machine and has the power assist steering. My guess is that the other manufacturers will come out with it also in the near future. I'd highly recommend the Grizzly. With that being said, the Hondas and Polaris are good too. I do highly recommend the fuel injected models. Field and Stream did a review of the new Yamaha. Check it out!
Old 02-16-2007, 03:44 PM

If your looking for a nice trail riding bike where it won't be going through alot of abuse then polaris are fine. But if your goin to work it hards and pound it through mud, brush and rude terrain you could not give me polaris to ride. Most of the guys here are riding honda and yamaha. My dad has an 98 big bear yammy that has been to hell and back at least twice and is still tickin. I bought a 06 kodiak last spring and have had the same to say about it as North Texan. We run hondas out in the oil patch and that is the only bike that will consistently get beat up everyday and fire up again the next morning in -30 weather. Not the nicest to ride but they are one tough bike. The do have a trail edition now which is to be considerably better for riding. I would stay away from honda automatics, heard nothing but problems with them. Been driving a bike since i was a little guy around the farm, hunting and trail riding so i know what to look for in a bike and my advice is tested and sound. Here are some pics of what we like to do.
There are a few 400 artic cats in the pic, sit nice and high, boys put on big tires but too much weight and too much rubber to turn. Once these guys were stuck their reverse would just sit and bog. Only bike that made it through unwinched was my yammy[8D]

Old 02-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Kawasaki Prairie 650. It'll go nearly anywhere you want it to, and it's a blast to ride. Doesn't soak up the sagebrush and rocks like the machines that have IRS, but it's a lot more stable and it has a nice, low center of gravity (but still adequate clearance). Has good power too. I suppose the best way to describe it is a sporty utility quad. More fun to throw around than the true utility quads, a little rougher on trails, but fun as all get out and it'll still go anywhere the rider is capable of taking it.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:23 PM

I have a Honda Rancher and love it. Great workhorse around the farm and gets in places the big ones can't when hunting.Have used a polaris and artic cat,could not give me one. Stick with Honda or Yamaha.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

'05 Bombardier Outlander

I haven't had a complaint about this 4 wheeler. The bike is fast for a utility bike and can go through mud like no other. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

If I didn't have an Outlander I would have a Rincon or Grizzly.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:18 AM

Gut check, how do you find the susepension on your outlander? Reading the bike mags about them they seem to be an awesome unit and lead most categories but the only complaint was the front end was a bit too light. Have you found this as well or have they remodeled it? I read initially lots of guys were just changing the shocks on them and they were fine. What size of rims/tires did you put on, looks great. I have been contemplating selling my 06 kodiak once i get about 5000 km on it and going to an 800 bombi. Don't need a bike like that but oh man would it be sweet, only problem is when i am stuck i am stuck lol.

Quick Reply: what kind of 4 wheeler do you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.