Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

help me keep my feet warm

Old 01-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default help me keep my feet warm

i am anew hunter and the only thing i dont like about it is my feet freeze can you help me
Old 01-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: help me keep my feet warm

Throw a handwarmer down underneath your toes. Guarantee that will keep you setting for much longer. However, make sure your boots are loose enough (tight boots always contribute to cold feet anyways) and don't walk long distances with the handwarmer in your boot. You may get blisters.When walking a longer distance to my stand, when I know my feet will be sweaty, I always pack dry socks and put them on before slipping the handwarmer in. I can set all day in snow this way.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in 3 types of footware,you get them and you are set.Early seasion i wear sneakers.Next i move up to my wallmart herman survivors.What ever that wont handle,The micky mouse boots will.Go to any place that sells military surplus and they will have them.E- bay has them.I use black,they seem to stay warmer.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:20 AM

I get cold feet in the summer, so I know what you mean, I purchased Cabelas pac boots with the 1200 thinsulate and the 9mm bootie, cabelas liner sock to wick away the sweat and a good wool blend sock.
I still use toasty toe warmers when the temp dip below +25... Cabels says you can use these boots down to -150.. That is nuts and cant see it happening
Old 01-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Poly/wool socks (NO COTTON), insulated boots large enough to allow for thick socks. Don't have your boots laced tight.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:36 PM

try this guy's suggestion:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1852449

I use polypropylene socks under wool socks inside my boot and I do fine. Haven't tried the deodorant thing yet but my sister admitted to doing it (she is a teacher and has outdoors duty in the mornings).
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had this problem for years. I finally wised up and bought those chemical warmers made for your feet. I put one on top of my toes and one under them. They arethe kind that has the red powder in them and they are self adheasive.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im in the midwest (Indiana)I use wool socks and cabelas camo rubber boots with 1200 grams on insulate, they also have zippers on the inside for ease of putting on and removal and keep my feet plenty warm, and the price is not to steep.
Dan
Old 01-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Buy some Artic Shield Foot Insulators and put hand warmers in them. That way you can wear a lighter boot while hoofing it to the stand and don't have to worry about your feet sweating as bad if they are all bundled up.

I bought mine from Bass Pro in late November for $20.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 PM

I am from ND and I know about cold. The shaped foot warmers (like hand warmers were used by me for the first time this year. Combine that with a GOOD wool sock.Do NOT go cheap on your wool socks they last a life time (almost) and the quality of wool makes all the difference. I will even put poly propolyne socks on first, then wool socks, and if it is wet, goretex socks.

Boots. If you are walking you need a sole that does not get HARD when it gets cold -- Rocky boots are the worse I have ever had. Cabelas "ice breakers" are not sold any more, but they or their great. I use Vasques when it is not real cold. Leather prefered with gore texliner.

For really cold still hunting I use Cabelas rubber boots with the MAXIMUM thinsulate rating possible. 1600 is what my boots are.

Now to get a head start on it all find a electric boot warmer. They come with extensions for tall boots. At night put them on there and in the morning they are warm AND dry. Dry is a real key to keeping your feet warm.

Now, if you are in snow and walking hunting, you need leggings (gaitors). For you southern boys these are today made from cordura and have a hook that clip into your shoe lace, bungee type cord that goes under the boot in front of the heel. The codura goes around your entire leg with a zipper in the back and run up to just below your knee. Then a flap buttons over the zipper. The best ones that I have found have a draw string at the top that tightens so they stay up (I use a spring loaded cord stopper that keeps the string tight and the gaitors up. I first run into these hunting in Montana and soon found they adapt to lots of hunting situations. For those quiet sneaky stalks, I have a pair that are not cordura but quiet cloths that are very quiet.

The other thing I have found if I am going into a tree stand and it is cold (I have sat in them down to -30 F) is to walk farther to the stand as if you get your body core warm your feet stay warm.

Good luck and stay warm.

Quick Reply: help me keep my feet warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.