Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

good climber

Old 12-10-2006, 06:36 AM

Default good climber

i'm looking to get a new climber and give my old one to my brother. my question is what kind of climber to get?? i want something light and easy to carry, easy to assemble, and strong enough to hold me (260lbs). what do you guys think would be a good one. oo and i wanna keep it under $300 if possible
Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good climber

i use a Tree Lounge and absolutely love it. i don't bow hunt any longer so i dunno about using it for that but for rifle hunting...it is the bomb. my only complaint is it is slightly heavier than other stands, only by a few pounds. i started just throwing it on my game cart and pulling it to and fro my tree instead of back packing it. this has been working great. by the way, it is by FAR the sturdiest and safest stand i have ever sat in and i'm about 300 pounds. the Tree Lounge was tested to over 1,000 pounds before it started to break down. most tree stand companies will add weight to the stand untill it gives out and then divide the pounds in half. so if a stand held up to 700 pounds before bending and breaking, the manufacturer would stamp a 350 pound weight limit on the box (i use to work for Warrent & Sweat M.F.G.).

if i had to choose a second favorite i would probally say get a Buckshot. they are nice and comfy aswell, just not as comfy as the Tree Lounge. also, if you are going to buy the Tree Lounge and you are over 6 foot, buy the longer/bigger one. i think they tell you if you are over 6'2" to get it but i am 6'2" and wish i had gotten the other one.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 AM

I am in the same boat of shopping for a new climber and the advice that I got was to look at the Summit Viper and backpacker, about $250 and $275 respectively as advertised at Cabelas. There were also others that pimped Wolf sit and climb as well, but that will run you about $360.
I'm getting a viper right after Christmas.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

API Grand Slam is my all time favorite. They have a magnum version for heavier weights too, max weight is 350 lbs. It's lighter than most stands, easy to carry in the woods, sets up fairly simple, and grips the tree better than any climber around. And the most comfortable stand there is, in my opinion. So check out API, I got no complaints with mine. Another good stand you can look at is a Summit Viper SS. I don't know much about em but I've heard they're great.

http://www.apioutdoors.com/62753.html?cmid=api_62753

http://www.summitstands.com/catalog.aspx?catid=viper
Old 12-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit Viper "Goliath" model, holds 350 lbs!! Awesome stand, glad I bought one last year!! It's 3" wider on the top section compared to the standard Viper model. Us big guys need all the room we can get!! Weight wise, I believe I read that it's only 21 lbs.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Summit Viper or the larger Goliath are good. I have heard good things the API as well.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Spike

Drop ten pounds and get a Tomcat I.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: scguide

Drop ten pounds and get a Tomcat I.
Nice.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Spike

What? The Tomcat is as much as ten pounds lighter than most other stands. If ya drop ten pounds off the gut or whatever, then you're twenty pounds lighter going into the woods.

Pretty good move if ya ask me.

Quick Reply: good climber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.