Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Battery Heated Socks

Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Battery Heated Socks

Has anyone out there used the battery powered heating socks? My kids are getting interested in hunting, but their feet always get cold. If they work I'll pick some up for a Christmas present.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Battery Heated Socks

If I still had mine I'd send 'em to you. For methey either got way too hot or didn't work at all. I've also heard of them catching on fire. Not too safe. Good insulated boots are the best.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a pair and found they didn’t really work that good. As previously mentioned a good pair of winter boots would be a better way to go...
Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Spike

I have a pair and they work "okay". The trick to using them is turn them on just when your toes are just starting to feel cool. They don't put out enough heat to warm cold feet. Once you are cold, they won't help. Usually they buy me another 1-2 hrs. per tripof hunting and that's about it. With thewires in the sock, they are better for stand hunting rather than stalking/hiking around in the woods. If I had to do it again, I would go overkill on the boots. Wicking sock liners is also a must for me. Wet feet are cold feet!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:33 PM

Had some about 15 years ago and they were not worth a flip. I found a good pair of boots and a good pair of socks work best (for me anyway).
Respectifully
Old 12-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

i used mine about 15 years ago too. it ate batteries. better off to get pac boots and at least 70% wool socks. get the boot inserts that let you slip in the chemical hand warmers. should be good to go
Old 12-08-2006, 06:50 PM

I'd also consider boot insulators or blankets if you are doing hunting out of a stand or blind and not stalking. I got some for the first time this year. I have great boots, use a polypropelene sock with a wool sock over it, but always got cold feet after a few hours. I started the day with the boot blankets on and never got cold feet - even on days here in the single digits. They work wonders and you should be able to pick up pairs on clearance now from $30-$40 a pair. I use the arctic shield brand.