Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Lone Wolf Stands?

Old 11-14-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Lone Wolf Stands?

Anybody using one? I've been researching stands, and these seem like some of the nicest ones out there. The cast aluminum platform seems pretty innovative and I like the fact that you can get multiple brackets for the hang-on model.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:55 PM

Default RE: Lone Wolf Stands?

The Lone Wolf Alpha Climber is one of the quietest, lightest stands in existence, I have used one for 2 years now for bowhunting and wouldn't give it up for the world.

>>>------------>
Pinmaster - At Home In The 11 Ring!
>>>------------>
Old 11-18-2002, 11:12 AM

I got the Lone Wolf Sit & Climb stand this fall & love it. I researched stands for 8 months & decided on this model & it is everything you need to bowhunt or rifle hunt. It's quiet, simple to set up & break down & a breeze to climb with. If you go with this model you won't regret it.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:25 PM

My friend purchased a Lone Wolf climber and, I hated it. It was quiet, I will give it that. It was incredibly light and small to pack, but, in my opinion that is where the pro's stop. First, the stand is held to the tree by a cable that is semi-rubbery. It doesn't seem very sturdy to me and it looks as though it isn't abrasion resistant. Along with that, the stand just doesn't feel sturdy to me. I like something in the tree that makes me feel safe (or as close to safe as I can be). The stand is so small and thin that it just feels weak, and I am only 6' tall and I only weigh 145 pounds. Another thing that I dislike is the seat. This is about the biggest thing I dislike about this stand. The seat is a thin piece of foam suspending over two pieces of rope. It feels really unsafe, and, I would have to say that it is one of the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in, period. I am not just talking about treestands, I am talking about everything.

Price is another thing that is a turn off about these stands. These are very expensive stands. You can get a better quality stand (in my opinion) for $100.00 less. Another thing is that in order to use the built in bow holder in the platform, you have to buy the foam insert. I think that it should be a standard option, but, you have to pay for it.

In my opinion, this stand has the best weight, stealth, and packing, but, that is where it stops. I prefer a well rounded stand. I want something light, quiet, easy packing, easy to use, safe, sturdy, and comfortable. Price is another big thing that I am looking for along with customer service.

I went with the Summit Bushmaster XLS, it had a good amount of everything that I wanted. Unlike the Lone Wolf, it has a good amount of everything I am looking for, not just a few really good things, but other specifications lacking.

This is just my opinion, it is not nessacarily correct, you should test every stand you want before using. I will say that I am fairly confident though, that if you test a Summit side by side with a Lone Wolf, the Summit will win hands down.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet

Check out my hunting PICS here http://community.webshots.com/user/buckmagnet
Old 11-18-2002, 06:52 PM

I totally have to disagree with Buck Magnet, first of all I don't know what Lone Wolf stand he was talking about but his assessments are way off. The part that holds the stand to the tree is a rubber traction belt that is reinforced with steel aircraft cables, that has been tested with a tensile strength to support 3100 lbs, thats right over a ton & a half. Secondly it is very abrasion resistant, I've used the belt on tree after tree & you can't even tell the belts been used yet. As far as feeling safe & sturdy, I don't know what he's talking about I weigh 230 lbs. & I've jumped up & down on the platform with no hint of insecurity. As far as the seat goes, again I don't know what seat he's referring to, but the seat on mine is a camo sling seat that is very comfortable & can be silently slid out of the way to stand up for a shot. As far as the price they are a little more than the lesser stands on the market, but guess what sometimes you get what you pay for.

I do agree with Buck Magnet on the stand being the light, easy to backpack, & the quietest stand out there. Along with that though it sets up so easy with the cam action levers & the traction belt, you just slide the belt in & close the cam lever, you can be up in the tree in less than 2 minutes.

When you compare the Lone Wolf Sit & Climb with the Summit Bushmaster XLS here's what you get. The LW has the traction belt that grips the tree secuely & quietly, the XLS uses a cable thinner than a pencil with no gripping power. The LW platform is a solid (not hollow) one piece molded aluminum base that is ultra quiet & has traction grids with utility hooks & a bow holder built right into it, compared to the XLS's sound echoeing hollow aluminum tubing that is slick as all get out. Then we have the weight restriction the LW is rated to 350 lbs., & the XLS is rated to 300lbs., so much for the stabilty issue.

All in all do what Buck Magnet said try them out if possible, but I'm confident you'll love a Lone Wolf.

Old 11-19-2002, 04:36 PM

As far as stability goes, does a climber tend to be more or less stable than a hang-on model.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried both the Bushmaster and the Lone Wolf and I bought the Bushmaster. It was just my personal preference. The Lone Wolf is a nice stand but I just liked the Summit better. The seat was much more comfortable on the Summit vs the Lone Wolf. One plus for the Summit stands is that you get a Seat of The Pants safety harness when you buy the stand.

Hunker Hunter, Don't know where you got your info about the weight limit on the Lone Wolf stands, but according to their website the limit is 300...the same as the Summit Bushmaster. Summit's website does'nt state this specifically for the Bushmaster but the cable on some of their stands is rated to a whopping 8,000 pounds. They only sale one model # of replacement cables so I'm assuming that all their stands use the 8000 lb. cable. My stand came with traction strips on the floor of the stand....its not slick in the rain.

I'm 235 lbs and I can tell you that the Summit stand was as stable as the Lone Wolf Alpha climber that I tried out. The one thing that I wish the Summit's had that the Lone Wolf has is the built in bow holder. I really liked that. Either stand would be an excellent choice. Just go try them out and buy the one you like the best.

www.lonewolfstands.com

Edited by - VAhuntr on 11/19/2002 21:25:09
Old 12-01-2002, 03:24 PM

Summits are the most comfortable stands I've ever sat in aside from the LazyBoy climber (aka a Tree Lounge)

-Timba
2 deer with a bow, 7 deer and 1 hog (and counting) with a gun

Preserve your hunting rights- Spay or neuter a liberal
>>>---------->
Old 12-02-2002, 03:43 PM

I have a hang on model. Its light and quiet. If you pack your stand in and out of the woods every hunt you will love it.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

I sold a brand new Summit Cobra XLS at a slight loss and purchased the Lone Wolf Sit-N-Climb. Best money I have spent on hunting equipment in many years! I actually used it much more than my hangons this season and I bowhunt a lot! The Lone Wolf is exceptionally quiet, light, and has the strongest platform I have ever seen(I checked all major brands out), and the belt w/aircraft cables inbedded grips trees like no other I tried. The belt [b]DOES NOT[b/]show any wear......you cannot tell it has ever touched a tree! I don't have to worry about replacing shrink tubing. The sit-n-climb bar can also be used as a gun rest, arm rest or folded under the seat because it will adjust instantly. It impressed my 65 yr. old father-in-law so much he bought one Saturday. Only thing I did to improve the comfort of the seat was strapping a seat cushion to the seat.

Quick Reply: Lone Wolf Stands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.