Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 I'm From Florida- So tell me about SNOWSHOES! >

I'm From Florida- So tell me about SNOWSHOES!

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

I'm From Florida- So tell me about SNOWSHOES!

Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default I'm From Florida- So tell me about SNOWSHOES!

I grew up in Florida, so know about snowshoes as I do about the moons of Jupiter. What features, differences, and brands should I know about? Seems there is a wide price range $90 to over $200.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I'm From Florida- So tell me about SNOWSHOES!

Spent many days on snowshoes hunting hares, here is what I can offer. If you are not going to be making tracks, any set of lightweight aluminum shoes will do. I got mine out of Cabelas, I paid a little over $100. If you are going off the trail, the old standby long wooden ones with rawhide webbing are a must. You can pay a lot for new ones, or buy a set of used ones and give them a try. They take a while to get used to, and don't try to turn around quick or you will be on your butt, and what a spectacle it is to try and get back on your feet while trying to keep the barrel of your shotgun out of the snow. One rule to remember, the bigger the shoe, the less you will sink in. No better way to get around the winter woods. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:33 PM

I feel that the longer narrower ones work better for me. Easier to get between close growing trees and bushes. Easier to just walk in general. Also you want to pay close attention to the bindings. Bindings that wrap around higher on the ankle work better. A real pain to drop a shoe going up or down a hill.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tubbs or MSR are the best ones. Wider ones are made for open spaces. Narrow ones are for blown down timber etc. Make sure you buy a pair that is rated for your weight + whatever you plan on carrying.