Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rangefinders

Old 07-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rangefinders

Leica is my suggestion. Having used or owned Bushnell and Nikons, the lieca is heads above either. Check ebay!!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 PM

Everything I have read or heard supports skeeters claim. I was trying to stay under $200, so didn't even want to look at something (be tempted) that didn't fit in my price range. I think the Leica's I have seen are bigger though, which might be an advantage of the Nikon. My 600 will easily fit in a shirt pocket.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’m not sure how big the 600 is but the Leica does come with a carrying case that slips over your belt. Makes for a nice little package for hunting that shouldn’t get lost unless the clips isn’t snapped in properly. My Leica is one purchase I have no regrets with...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:52 AM

For the money, hard to beat the Nikon 440. I have used it for the past 3 years and it still works like a charm.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 PM

i just bought the nikon realtree 800 it's great but i should of not listen to a friend of mine.it's to much i might sell it
Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM

it's a laser 800 6x21 6.0 waterproof and it's the monark
Old 08-20-2006, 09:47 AM

.....I'm going to disagree with all of the bashing of Leupold rangefinders. I bought one and spent 15 minutes reading how to set it up for bow and rifle shooting. It is very reliable and the True Ballistic readings are amazing. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do believe in hunting with a range finder.......
I tested both the Leupold RX2,RX3, RX4 as well as the Bushnell Elite 1500..
Not in the field but rather at the range yesturday with a friend whos father owns the gun shop in our town.....
All are very impressive,but am skepical..
I'm just wondering how much of an advantage these new ballistic readings really do offer.
I could potntially see some problems rising in trhe heat of the momement...........
Its one thig to test it while your calm cool and relaxed,(everything goes smoothly then) its another thing to do under pressure when your trying to judge the distance something that is standing or slowly walking through brush and trees..Especially if its big and wrong buttons are hit.....
Besides, If one knows the ballistics of his rifle or hisbow/arrow (and he/she should before they even hunt)
They should have no problem hitting the vitals at any angle distance to their absolute maxium shooting range,without the aid of ballistic info that these rangefinders offer..
As far as I'm concerned, If a hunter shoots at 100, 200 ,through to 500-600 yrds whether it be flat uphill or downhill,he/she is responsible for knowing exactly where thatprojectile is going and exactly what it is going to hit.
And since these devices just came out, unlessone just recently purchased a rifle or bow, your judment of distance,the ballistics of ones gun/bow should already be figured out......
I personally think it may take extra valuable seconds that could spent
shooting instead of reading andwaiting for an answer to see just how much holdover (or under) is needed before you pick up your gun and shoot..
The quarry may have left the building.
And I really don't see what advantage these rangefinders have unless,
you shoot with a scope that is equipped with a rangefinding rectical
such as the ones offered by Burris,Khales or Leupold....
But I am intrigued by them,do want to personally test some of these out in the field in various conditions maybe just maybe my theory may be proved wrong......
Old 08-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

But I am intrigued by them,do want to personally test some of these out in the field in various conditions maybe just maybe my theory may be proved wrong......
[align=right]
[/align]
As someone that has actuallyused a laser rangefinder while hunting for the last few years,it is my opinion that your theory is wrong.A great deal of practise results in me knowing the trajectory of my loads out to 500 yards,but I certainly don't claim to be able to accurately judge distance out to 500 yards,under varying conditions.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

[align=right]
[/align]
As someone that has actuallyused a laser rangefinder while hunting for the last few years,it is my opinion that your theory is wrong.A great deal of practise results in me knowing the trajectory of my loads out to 500 yards,but I certainly don't claim to be able to accurately judge distance out to 500 yards,under varying conditions.
A great deal of practise tells me otherwise Stubble.....
I'm not saying that I can accurately judge 500yrs to the exact yard but within 10yrds at any givin time......
And I'm sure you could do it too.(with the amount of shooting that you have done) in factI bet it would be better.....
Years of practice and hours of shooting up hill downhill flat at variing degrees in wind mist rain snow,sunset and sunrise..
If you shoot those distances enough, in variing conditions judging them to within 10yrds is very possible.....
My buddies and I used to spendour lunch hours in shool pacing off our football fields and after schoolgolf courses,
The only exception being,fog, which I can care less about cause unless I see whats infront or behind the target clearly,(which has yet ever happened to me in that condition) my gun sits at my side.....
Sadly,I've watch some big bucks walk away...[]
Oh well......Time to wait for the fog to disapate.
Thank godfor the The Spot and stalk hunting method...

Quick Reply: Rangefinders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.