Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 How to balance a binocular purchase >

How to balance a binocular purchase

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

How to balance a binocular purchase

Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default How to balance a binocular purchase

I've been through the "Which Binoculars?" post below, which seemed to be soliciting opinions on the best binoculars if price was no object.

I'm going on my 2nd big game hunt this Fall, and it's been 8 years since my first. I may yet get hooked on going more often, but with 4 boys under 11 years old, it may be a while before I pick up the pace from where it is now.

I'm painfully aware that my current binocs aren't anywhere close to being adequate for my October elk hunt in BC, so I'm looking for some optics that are up to the task. While I probably could afford some "heirloom" binoculars, I'm not sure that I'd reap all the benefits of them, hunting as infrequently as I'm likely to.

Naturally, trying to sort-out my optics options has been freakin' maddening, on account of there are a stupid amount of choices & options. The info at this site, http://www.consumersearch.com/www/sports_and_leisure/binoculars/fullstory.html, however, seemed pretty coherent. Their basic premise is that it's much harder to discern the difference between $500 binocs & $1,000+ binocs, than it is to see a huge difference between $200 binocs and their $500 counterparts.

Would some <$500 Nikon Monarchs serve me adequately forthe hunting that I'm likely to do? Or, should I plan on spending 10% or more of the total cost of the hunt on a pair of binocs, given that I might not go again for 8-10 years?

How would you all approach this?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Banned

Default RE: How to balance a binocular purchase

I have a nice pair of Burris Landmark II's that my wife and I each bought for an elk hunt and we are pleased with them. Didn't break the bank either. HCH

Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Banned

HCH

Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Spike

I am going to make a few assumptions: First is that you hunt outside of teh big game troips and could use the optics then. Second is that, with children, a future trip would be less costly if you purchased a pair of optics todya and did not have to buy a second pair in 8 yeras.

Essentially, in 8 years, you'd have an out of pocket expense equal to $500-$1,000 for 2 pair of lesser binoculars when you could have spent the same money and gotten a gret pair first. The kids are only going to get more expensive.

As yourself: Do you beat up your equipmetn or treat it well? if you are hard on binoc, you may need a new pair regarless of cost in 8 years.

I have two pair of binoculars that I use regularly. The 8*32 Swarovskis are infinitaly better than teh 8*42 Nikon Monars. They were also $769 vs $250. Where I see teh gibbest difference is in low light or at extended distances. On a recent trip to Yellowstone, the swarovskis significnatly out performed teh nikon's at extended distances.

The Nikons are adequate and appear to be a step above what you have. I do not think you will be disappointed, but there are better options for your money.

That being said, a friend has a pair of Pentax that are basically indistinguishable to the Swarovskis at much less cost. They are bigger at 10*50 and 8*42, but no significnat difference in viewing. At least not $500 dollars worth.

I think that$400 - 600 is a good price point and it does not appear that you will be using them a significant amount of time.

Bearbasin.com has a pair of Pentax 8*43 SP for $529 I would strongly consider these. They are a mid point for price, will last a lifetime with care andyou will not be dissappointed. Pentax has also reintroduced the 10*42 WP. It is $349 at the above website. A little less quality, but still a great set of binoculars.

If you are not opposed to used equipement or refurbished equipment, this sight always has demo equipmetn at some pretty good prices.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB36

I hope this helps and is wht you were looking for. Sorry for the rambling.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Personally I have a pair of Zeiss Classic 10x40's and a pair of Swarovski 10x50 SLC's and wouldnt trade them for anything. I do think you get what ya pay for with glass. I always tell people to buy the best they can afford. If it's a pair of high end optics such as Leica fine, if it's a pair of Bushnell's fine...it's their choice and money.

I was brought up with my father telling me son....."you might as well start out with what you are going to wind up with" and have for the most part followed that.

I have found out over the years that binoculars can be used for much more than just hunting....take em to a ball game, a concert, the zoo fencning work, bird watching...whatever...

Another thing to think about is being able to turn them over in the future if you want to sell them.The best optics are going to hold their value much more that a so so pair. You might even consider them as an investment.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

FC,
I'm like you I'm a family man on a budget,one thing diffrent I elk hunt out my back door.I know what it is like to drop some cold hard cash on something and not know what to expect.My last pair of Binoc's(8 years old) I found on the side of the road(wich was a blessing the Tasco's my folks gave me when I was 14 were getting old) they were Nikon's action series 8x42's they have been great glasses,but they are giving up the goat and getting worse.
So this year with a little tax refund I went and bought some new ones,for me the best buy was Lepoulds Wind Rivers Cascade series 10x42's.I have been using them for 3-d archery and sight seeing they are supper crisp,supper clear,will they last 50 years probaly not but by that time we can all have transplants for supper powered eye's by then.
They cost me like 320 bucks from the local store,give'em a look and see what you think.
With any one of your choices I would go with 8x42's or 10x42's max,and also get your self a bino buddy.
BBJ
Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I made a trip to Bass Pro the other night, and I actually made a bit of headway before I started getting confused.

1) The Nikon Monarchs are WORLDS better than my current glass. Though they were only $289, I actually liked them better thansome $500+ Steiner Predators.

2) The Zeiss & Leica's are pretty freakin' sweet! I purposefully showed-up near dusk, so I could make the guy walk out of the gun department & go over with me to the big picture window so I could check out stuff in the twilight. These 2 high-end binocs showed things in a completely different color than the Nikons did. Very nice, indeed.

3) I tried some Swarovski's, & didn't like 'em at all. I couldn't find out how to make the eyepieces focus individually, nor could the sales dude. Then again, he couldn't see any problem with 'em. Naturally, I also realize that a green Bass Pro shirt on a part-time employee does not an optics expert make.

What itdid make clear, though, is that I have to decide what I like best: all the opinions in the world are fine, but it's up to me to be happy with what I get.

I also started the internal battle about, "are these Zeiss glasses really 5 times better than the Nikons?", verses, "would I be content with these Nikons out in the field, when I've looked through those really nice Zeiss lenses?". I'm not finding it to be a very cut-and-dried debate.

So, the upshot is that I didn't buy anything. Then again, I didn't expect to. With this many choices, I need to take my time, & be sure of what I like. Plus, I think I can can only do it in short sessions, because after a while everything starts to look the same.

So, the only thing I know now is that I'll be going back! Several times!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like your attitude! keep checking them out till your comfotable. your doing the right thing. i found out the same thing about those steiner predators. i didnt like them. the buris landmarks i had a problem with moisture and there customer service was no help. i dont think they are phase correct either. i dont think your gonna go wrong with the 10x or 8x 42-nikons monarchs. i do like the zeiss classic 10x 40 a little better. maybe also check out the gold ring leupolds. i think just under grand.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was to choose a roof prism bino between 500- 700 CND dollars it would have to be I like the Pentax Sp series...
Made in Japan and are made with care..
They sell for around $500-600 CND dollars depending on were you look..
They are a first class bino the only thing I don't like is the warranty that is offered...
Check E-Bay or
www.binoculars.com

Any roof prismdesign and model below $400 CND is 3rd rate junk
usually made in China and the quality control isn't up to par..
Yep they may appear bright but once out in the field
The first thing you will notice that your eyes will get tired quickly because the alignment will be off by miles...
This will happen in the first 15-20 min.......
If your looking for something below $400.00 get porro prism
something like the B&L Discoverer or the something from Stiener...
That is how they keep costs of cheeper roof prism models down cheep labour&they don't spend the time needed to align the roof prism models properly..

Get the best that you can afford and practice viewing from them,it takes alot of skill to find deer and elk hidden in their own naturalenvironment
when glassing from hundreds and hundreds of yards away...

I know a couple of people who follow the first rule, buy the best of the best ,but don't spend the necessary time to practice.
And go home disapointed time in and out cause they can't see game through their binos..

Old 07-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Spike

I mentioned this earlier, but thought it may be of more interest now.

The Nikon's are nice and seem to be something you like. They are available as demo model in black or Camo at the one website for $199.

Just a thought

Quick Reply: How to balance a binocular purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.