Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What multi-tool?

Old 05-20-2006, 08:46 PM

Default What multi-tool?

I need a new multi-tool, and need help picking out the right one. I've basically narrowed it down to Leatherman. I really like the Charge Xti cause it has a gut hook on the serrated blade, and the handles are titanium. Any suggestions or feedback? BTW, price is not an issue, its a graduation present to myself.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:46 PM

Default RE: What multi-tool?

I was reading a seriess in outdoor life about 2 years ago. The magazine was interviewing the worlds foremost outdoorsmen, guides, and survival experts. Over about 6 issues nearly everyone interviewed chose the leatherman wave as thier choice. But they all, to a man, had a dedicated hunting knife they carried. some chose small flexible knives, some chose big hefrt knives. But most chose the wave as well
mco
okcmco
Old 05-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned

I have a micra-leatherman that I have had for 5 years and I carry and use it every day. Leatherman puts out a great product. Here is a whole page of them http://www.swissknifeshop.com/products.asp?dept=14&c1=g6&source=Leatherm an&kw=ad2
Old 05-22-2006, 06:38 AM

I'm on my 2nd leatherman. The first was a PST II, which was decent until I lost it. I just purchased the Wave a few weeks ago, and it is FAR better than the one I lost. It just has a feeling to it like the builders knew what they were doing and wanted to make something of quality construction. I like it a lot...it has what I need, and it's more comfortable in the hand than the one I lost. The tools on it all make sense and are in convenient locations, and all are locking so you don't accidentally close something down on your fingers. I got mine new off ebay for a great price.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:39 AM

Thats what I have been looking at Riverotter, ebay seems to be the way to go. The Charge Xti is the same as the wave, its just more expensive because it has titanium handles. The only real diffrence is no scissors and the charge has a gut hook. Thanks alot!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:23 AM

Just a few additional thoughts...I'm not sure that the Charge XTiis worth the extra money. You won't save any drastic amount of weight by going to titanium handles, and the standard version has stainless steel which while not completely corrosion proof is pretty decent. I find that I'm a lot more likely to use scissors in dayto day use than a guthook. When I'm likely to use a guthook I'll have my hunting knife with me, which is a Buck Zipper (has the guthook on the back of the blade). One other thing to think about...if you're using the guthook on deer, you're a lot more likely to get the rest of the tool crapped up with hair and other mess. I'd rather have something simple to clean when I'm doing that kind of work.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wife bought a wave to replace myoriginal leatherman, has everything I need. I agree a dedicated knife or knives is preferred for field dressing duties. I would think a gut hook on a leatherman would be rather small and plug up easily, plus cleaning it would betime consuming after the job was done.

PS: If you like guthooks checkout the kershaw blade trader it hasa large gut hook/skinner blade attachment that worksvery well and doesn't plug up!I still prefer a drop point forfield dressing, personally.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Buy one made in America and don't buy it at a Wal-Mart.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, if you are an Aggie I would stay away from the sharp ones. Just kidding and I'm sorry I couldn't stop myself.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 AM

I have 5 different Leatherman's and a Gerber Multi tool. They all function well and I think you have to choose a tool that suits "your" need. Only you know which blades/tools you need for it's intended use.

Quick Reply: What multi-tool?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.