Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 LEUPOLD 50MM SCOPE   VX-L  OR VX-III >

LEUPOLD 50MM SCOPE VX-L OR VX-III

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

LEUPOLD 50MM SCOPE VX-L OR VX-III

Old 03-29-2006, 09:34 PM

Default LEUPOLD 50MM SCOPE VX-L OR VX-III

I HAVE A BROWNING ABOLT II IN A 270 .I NEED ADVICE ON A LEUPOLD 3.5-10 X 50MM SCOPE. IS THE VX-L MODEL REALLY WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY OVER THE VX-III MODEL?
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 03-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: LEUPOLD 50MM SCOPE VX-L OR VX-III

Haven't seen the new L model, but I have a series III in 40 mm and it is a very good scope.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 50mm scopes are not worth the extra money.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:49 AM

I would agree with stubblejumper and say you would be better off getting a 40mm instead. The VX-L does allow the scope to sit lower on the rifle but I don't think it's worth the extra money. Just my opinion. Here's a pic North Texan. I'm not big on the looks of these.

I have the VX-III 3.5x10-40mm with the B&C reticle.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly what you asked about, but have you considered a Zeiss Conquest? It's similarly priced to the VX-III, but has better optics. I've owned both.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: BASEBALLCRAZY
IS THE VX-L MODEL REALLY WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY OVER THE VX-III MODEL?
In short........NO.

Here's why.
Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50......$549.95
Leupold VX-L 3.5-10x50.....$699.95

Being able to mount your scope a little lower is not worth $150.00...at least to me its not.

Then take into acount that the VX-L is not a true 50mm lens. Sure the horizontal diameter is 50mm but take the actual surface area and compare it to the VX-III. The VX-III has more objective glass, which will increase the light transmission and exit pupil.

You would be better off understanding that a 50mm scope is NOT brighter than a 40mm scope or a 36mm scope......all has to do with the "exit pupil"............................... and what'sexit pupil,you ask????
Now the long version:

Exit Pupil - The size of the column of light that leaves the eyepiece of a scope (usually measured in millimeters). The larger the exit pupil, the brighter the image, with 6-7mm considered to be prime for the average user.

To determine the size of the exit pupil, divide the objective lens diameter by the power of the optic. IE: A Stiener 7x50 binocular. 50/7=7.14mm exit pupil.

Your eye gathers more or less light as conditions change. The pupil is controlled by the iris which allows it to change in size from 2mm - 8mm depending on the light. As we grow older the maximum diameter that our pupil will dilate decreases. Most eyes dilate to about 7mm or 8mm at age 20, but only to about 5mm at age 50. An exit pupil of 7mm is consider to be optimum.

Let's take two Leupold scopes for instance;2.5-8x36 and 3.5-10x40 will both transmit the exact same amount of light to your eye, IF you place them on the correct power.

40mm scopes are not brighter than 36mm scopes. It is all relative to what power the scope is on. Rember the formula, if not let's look at it agian with a fixed power scope. Leupold 6x42, 42/6=7mm. A 6x42 Leupold transmits a perfect 7mm exit pupil (that's why they make scopes and binoculars in strange numbers like 8x56, 6x42, and 9x63.

The formula is a little different for a variable scope, you would take the objective lens size and divide it by 7 to determine what power to put your scope on for a 7mm exit pupil (the most your eye can handle). ie: a 3.5-10x40 would need to be set on 5.7x to produce the desired 7mm exit pupil. A 2.5-8x36 would need to be set on about 5.1x to get a 7mm exit pupil. You see, these two scopes 40mm and 36mm are just as bright, they just do it on different powers.

A larger objective allows you to use your scope on a higher power and still have perfect light gathering. A 3-12x56 transmits perfect light on 8x. A 1.5-5x20 does it on 2.9x. First decide what power you need for what you are doing, then multiply that by 7 and the answer will be the size of objective lens you will need.

All of these formulas for producing the same light with different powered scopes are only relevant if you are comparing scopes from the same manufacturer and the same models. ie: Leupold VariX-III. You can't get a BSA 3-9x50 and set it on 7x and expect it to be just as bright as a Leupold 3-9x50, because it is the glass and coatings that primarily determine the scopes ability to transmit light to your eye efficiently.

Take all this into account and buy the scope that fits your need.

Hope this helps,
Chris Farris

Leupold 4.5-14x40
Old 03-30-2006, 05:22 PM

Thanks Guys for your replys. Thank you Riflescopes.com for educating me on the scopes. thanks again.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Besides that, that new Leupold scope is so ugly it would make a freight train take a dirt road. IMO, a 40-42 mm scope is plenty. The VXIII 's are fine as are the Zeiss Conquest models. So are the Bushnell Elite 4200's. Even the Weaver Grand Slam's or Burris Signature's are decent. I also think Kahles makes a fine scope. Just put a Kahles CL on my Sako 30.06 . It was a 3-9 X42 and is just about as perfect. Love it!!! Good luck with your selection.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not exactly what you asked about, but have you considered a Zeiss Conquest? It's similarly priced to the VX-III, but has better optics. I've owned both.
I agree 100%.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:03 PM

If you are really big on setting your scope as low as possible, then this scope looks like a good deal. There are a lot of gun writers who say that lower is better. And the idea of having a 50MM scope sit as low as 40mm scope sounds good to me. Plus they just look damned cool.
okcmco

Quick Reply: LEUPOLD 50MM SCOPE VX-L OR VX-III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.