Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 What kind of stand do you prefer? >

What kind of stand do you prefer?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What kind of stand do you prefer?

Old 03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What kind of stand do you prefer?

What kind of tree stand do you guys like? I like ladder stands. I hunt on private land though. They feel more secure, they have arms and stuff like that to make it more comfortable. I have a Rivers Edge deluxe 15" in the regular size (not XL). How about all you?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What kind of stand do you prefer?

I've always like hang on stands using screw in steps and then strap on ladder sticks until last summer and I blew out my knee. I used old wooden ladders this last season to get into my hang on stands since climbing the climbing sticks was tough on my knee. It's tough getting old....and stupid.

I originally used hang ons since there weren't many trees without limbs and straight enough to use a climber.

I may need a rocking chair this year!!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

climber ur in and up in the tree almost as fast as hang on stands but u can move your stand anytime
Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 AM

I like climbers for scouting purposes, but once I've found a good spot I like using a hang-on stand with strap-on steps (unless the tree is too big around, then I use screw-in's). I take the bottom 3 steps off when I leave the stand to help prevent theft. Hang-on stands seem faster to get into without making noise, and you can put them in trees that you can't get into with a climber because of limbs.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

bring a little saw of axe and take limbs off as you climb
Old 03-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in CO it is very hard to find a tree for a climber.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Kamil

bring a little saw of axe and take limbs off as you climb
I do have one of the small folding saws, but I'm only willing to take off just so many limbs...if a tree has more than a couple larger than 2 inches in diameter, it just isn't worth the time it takes to saw through all of them. That and I prefer to leave some cover on the tree below me if I can. Either I'll find a different tree that is going to be less of a hassle, or I'll put up a hang-on. The strap-on steps go on quickly, and you can position them so that you leave a good portion of the limbs still on the tree for cover.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

i hunt in some of the thickest country up here and finding trees is hard to, but the more work you put into your hunting, the more you get out of it.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Summit Climber all the way

nubo
Old 03-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Fix/Hang on.... The one I use is a Chippewa made brand, it's light and real easy to hang on to just about any tree I can find. One of the best hang on tree stand I've use so far.

Quick Reply: What kind of stand do you prefer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.