Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 New or used ATV and which one? >

New or used ATV and which one?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New or used ATV and which one?

Old 03-03-2006, 06:24 AM

Default New or used ATV and which one?

I'm getting into the market for an ATV. I'd like to stay in the $4000 range or below. Thinking of something in a 400cc range. I read all the words about Honda's and other 'rice' burners being good, yet the Polaris and other brands (Bombardier et al) also have followers.

What should I be looking for in a used ATV? Which brands and why? Same question for a New ATV. Which brands and why?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New or used ATV and which one?

Well it's hands down that Yamaha & Honda are tops in reliability. So to limit any potential problems I would recommend going with one of these.

If your looking to stay under $4K in the used 400cc class, you can pretty much have your pick of any model made before 2004/5.

But in order to get better specific recommendations you'll need to give a little more information. Such as what you want it to do. Automatic trans or manual? 2WD or 4WD? Utility or sport? Farm chores? Hunting? Muddin?
Pull a trailer? Trail riding? Sand dunes?

I currently have a 2005 Yamaha Bruin (Camo +, 4X4, Auto). It has done everything I have asked of it. Trail riding. Some light mudding (I don't like to clean muddy machines). Hill climbing. Snow plowing. Farm chores, pulling a severely overloaded trailer doing food plots. Hunting? Heck ya! Weshotgun deer hunt in southern IL where the fields are kinda like carbonatedclay. Had no problem dragging a couple of deer with guys on front and back racks.

I was kinda wondering how it would be without a low range, but even plowing snow, I've got NO COMPLAINTS. Everyone who's ridden it seems to really dig it.

A really great thing about staying in the 400cc class(maybe up to 500) is that the machines are not super big and heavy. The smaller machines aremuch more nimble in the woods, able to squeeze thru smaller openings and such. Better on fuel economy. I have actually ridden aroundmuch bigger, heavier machines bogged down in mud and winched them out.

There'sALOT of used machines out there for sale by guys who just didn't use themas much as they thought they would. You should have no problem getting agood (or even super) deal.

As to deals on a new machine? Let your fingers do the walking! Make the phone calls, get the trader mags and look for brand new 2005 (or even 2004) models as 2006's are on the floor now and no dealer wants old inventory on their books - just better to deal and get them out of inventory. "Cut the losses".

As a matter of fact, it's a really nice sunny day here asI'm looking out onmy driveway at mine on the trailer. I think I'll hook it up to the truck and take it out!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I am also in the market Bbear. I really need one for the ice fishing and planned to get one for this year but never got around to it and now I am sorry I didn't do it. Reliability is #1 for me and according to Uncle matt Honda and Yamaha are the ones to get. I plan to keep mine in the 500cc or less range but will probably buy new instead of used. I never have much luck with older stuff so I usually get new and know what I am getting.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bear Im not sure where you live or what your interested in but I saved over $1000 by going to Chattanooga and buying a 350 ES Rancher 4x4 ..I gave 3950.00 out the door ...when i got there on a Saturday I could hardly find a place tp aprk ..and there were people from ALL over the southeast buying 4 wheelers... this was in December ...

dd
Old 03-03-2006, 03:40 PM

The Honda Foreman by far, overall tops in its class. Why do some so called hunters have to list what they hunt with? who cares, we all have bows and guns, why try to show off what you hunt with, when most of us don't care.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honda or yamie, just like uncle matt suggests. I have owned both and it boils down to personal likes as they are both solid ATV manufacturers.

FWIW I have a 05 450 Kodiak at the moment, that has over 1000 miles many hard. The only thing I have done is change oil. Great little bike from my perspective. Previously I have owned Yam Big Bear, Honda 300 TRX and Honda 400 Foreman..all were extremely reliable and good investments. I have also owned polaris...don't go their is my advise. Far to much wrench time required for my liking.

Used is a good option if you can wait for the right bike, I have bought the majority of mine this way. You'll find as Matt says many guys buy them then unload them b/c of lack of use.Biggest fear you have is lack of maint. of the bike. Look over the general appearence but makesure to check the levels, air filter, etcand never buy without taking a test rip.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my opinion. Any of the Jap brand quads are pretty reliable these days. As far as the Honda Foreman being tops in its class I have to disagree. If you read any of the ATV magazines, with their shoot outs, the Bombarier Outlander is at the top of the 400ccclass. But they are expensive.My family owns Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha. I too would say stay away from Polaris. My personal ride is a Yamaha 660Grizzly.

I'd recomend you look at the Yamaha Kodiak. Its a full auto,independent rear suspension, low range and has one feature, that I really like, is the front differential lock. Like I said, all the Jap brands are reliable. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki all make a good quad. But Ithink the Kodiak has all the good features in a reliable package.

You might find a good deal on a used quad, but be careful. Alot of guys really abuse them, so check it over carefully. Check the oil. Make sure it doesn't smoke. Look at the wheels, if they are all dented up and tires are full of plugs, there's a good chance that the guy that owned it, abused the crap out of it.

Check out the forum on this website to get some answers to your questions.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/
Old 03-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

IF you do decide on a Honda -stay away from the electronic shift BS!

The Kodiak, as Skeeter mentioned is a great ATV. The Bombadier as Windwalker mentioned is also an awesome ATV, but where are the dealerships. There are FAR MORE Yamaha and Honda dealerships - just something to keep in mind. (I do like the Bombs - especially the Outlander).

And by the way, I had some fun today when I went out. Pics to follow, but may be Tue/Wed.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had no problems with the ES on my Rancher neither have
my hunting partners![8D]
Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 AM

Under $4,000 is going to limit your NEW choices. You may be able to find a HONDA Rancher. Problem with Used is you don't know how the run. My Brother bought a Yamaha KodiaK last year a 2001 model and took it out the first them and had issues with it. $400 later it is fixed. Something with the fuel line and shut off switch. I have a Prairie 360 and it is a great ATV, but paid $5,200 new. I have seen a used 360 for under $4,000 that are only a year old. Other than that I would look for a USED HONDA... Great machines. My neighbors have Polaris ATV's, but they seem to always have to fix little stuff which would be a pain. Check out Cycle Trader or ATV trader online to get an idea of prices.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.