Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

toyota tacoma

Old 03-20-2006, 08:37 PM

Default RE: toyota tacoma

so would this be a good first car/truck for me to get. Also is it a good truck for everyday use and offroad during hunting season. And how much better are the TRD offroad models?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: brandon78

so would this be a good first car/truck for me to get. Also is it a good truck for everyday use and offroad during hunting season. And how much better are the TRD offroad models?
Yeah, it's a good truck. Maintenance is easy but rarely needed. It rides well on the road, great offroad. It's light, so you'll get places the heavy full-size trucks won't. It's smaller, so you have a better turning radius in the woods. I have the V6, and with 30x9.5R15 Michelin LTX tires it gets around 21-22mpg on the road (mostly highway). Bigger/heavier tires will decrease that gas mileage to some extent, and you won't want to go larger than 32x11.5R15 without regearing ($$$). The biggest you can go without doing some sort of lift is 31x10.5R15. My thoughts on cab models: Standard cabis ok, but I like having the space behind the seats in my xtra cab to put stuff I don't want in the bed (though people don't fit there very easily). I would have gotten the double cab, but I don't need it to holdpeople very often, and you sacrifice 2' of bed length to get it. With the 2005+ models you can have your cake and eat it too...they make a double cab longbed so you don't lose the bed space. I have a hard tonneau cover on it now that I'm in the process of getting rid of to get a cap. The bed is too shallow to fit a good cooler (any of the ones rated forholding ice more than an afternoon) with the tonneau cover on top.

The TRD package gives you stiffer springs and the electronic locking rear differential. The stiffer springs won't matter a whole lot, but the e-locker is worth it. Otherwise you just have open differentials and if you lose traction with 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel you're not going anywhere. With the e-locker engaged, you would have to lose traction to both rear wheels as well as one of the front wheels (front diff is open whether you have the TRD package or not). I wish I had it...but you can't just go back and add a few wires if you don't have it. The locker is specific to the rear end, so I would have to buy a whole axle with housing, plus the wiring...or get an aftermarket locker (ie no-slip, lock-rite, ARB, etc). My situation right now doesn't require the tough off-roading I did the past few years, so I'm going to hold off on getting a locker until it looks like I'll be getting back offroad frequently.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I JUST traded in my '03 Ram 1500 quad cab w/ 50K for a 2003 Tacoma TRD quad cab w/ 35K on it. So for so good. It is a real nice truck. Plus, plenty of room for the wife & kid(s).
Saving $20 a week in gas and have a great warranty on it now. It's got the shorter bed on it, but my little Honda Rancher 350 fits perfect with the gate down.
Sharp looking truck too... no pics yet to post.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

I love mine!

Old 04-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

I'm looking to trade my 2001 Siverado Ext Cab Z71 for a Toyota Tacoma double cab TRD off road short box. I would like to get a used one, but quite honestly the re-sale so good I am better off to go new.

One question: how is the gas mileage for a double cab short box TRD off road?? And since Toyota recommends Premium fuel, does it get the same gas mileage with unleaded, medium grade, or premium?? I know horsepwer, performance, etc. is affected, just havent heard about gas mileage??

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I get 18ish around town w/ my double cab short bed. I haven't really taken it on the highway, but i'm guessing around 22 or so.
I have been using regular, not premium and have had absolutely no problems yet.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I'm still testing my economy as I break in the engine. I'm not sure of Imperial units but right now I'm getting about 475km/70 L. Tried premium once but didn't notice any difference (city driving). Probably a bit better on the hwy. It's only "suggested" for better performance but not necessary like other cars.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Iv'e got a 2000 tacoma standard cab w/2.7 l 4 banger. Love it. It is lifted w/33" swampers on it. If you can swing it get one That says "turd" on the back, they have rear lockers.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:41 PM

The newer Toyota trucks (like older models) are superb vehicles but over priced.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Spike

I had a 97 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4 and loved it. In 170k miles I put a new starter on it. That was all the trouble I ever had. When I got ready to get a new truck I was gonna get the 6 cylinder but it barely got better mileage than the 4door tundra so I got that instead. They make a great vehicle.

Quick Reply: toyota tacoma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.