Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS advice

Old 12-06-2005, 09:45 AM

Default GPS advice

Anyone using a GPS that could give advice on which one to buy?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: GPS advice

I have a Magellan Sportrak Map model that I am very fond of. I bought it two years ago from Cabelas. It is easy to use and has a decent mapping feature. I have not seen it in any of the catalogs this year soI wonder if they discontinued it. Price was around $150 for the unit itself with another $100 invested in the Travel bundle which included the mapping software and a few other accessories.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:26 AM

There was a major discussion not too long ago on this subject. Do a search and you'll find some great info.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:58 PM
jjo

i have a magellan 2000 i bought quite a while ago and it still works great.

jjo
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 PM

I have used the etrex legend, and the magellan 200 & 300. It really depends on what you want the gps for. Thethree, I mention all come with a built in base map. The built in base maps are pretty basic and only have major routes listed,most rural roads are not in the base maps. Base maps on the units are nice to have for a references, but really aren't helpful inrural areas. The magellan's have a very nice screen and a very bright orange backlight. The etrex legend has a slightly smaller screen and a white backlight, but it comes with more built in features and the ability to use a external power supply.
The magelan's that I used burned thru the batteries very fast with the backlight on, approx. 5hrs runtime. The etrex legend with the backlight on lasted about 8 1/2 hours. I had a magellan 300 thatwhen the batteries died,the compass, altimeter, and thermometer functions where destroyed on the unit. Company said they would repair the unit free of charge, but I just couldn't trust a unit that was damaged that muchafter it burned thru new batteriesin 4 1/2 hrs and lost 1/2 of it's functions. I have had no problems with the magellan 200 or the etrex legend.

If you just want to know how to get back to your car/truck and mark locations where you see game or game signs, buy one of the cheaper gps in the$100 to$200 dollar range. It will give you all of the features you'll need. If you are looking for one to useas a navigation aid for your autoand in the field, forget it.There are GPS's designed for use in autos andGPS's designed for use in the field, but none really do both very well..
Old 12-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Currently I have a Garmin Etrex Legend, but Santa is going to leave a Garmin 60cs under the tree for me this year. Both are great units, but the 60cs has a few more features and has 7 times the memory. Whatever you choose(Garmin or Magellan) spend the extra cash and get one that you can download Topo maps into the unit.

Mr. .45-70
Old 12-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Spike

I've had several models and recommend getting one with the electronic compass. I like the fact it will give you accurate direction when stopped. Downloadable topos are also real handy. I use a Garmin Vista.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:57 PM

In a word "Garmin"
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 PM

I am looking at getting the garmin vista c. anyone use this one
Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 AM

I've got a Garmin 60CS and really like it. Granted, it has more features than I need, but I also use it as a traveling/wayfinding device in my truck. I found mine for $350 on the internet. Pricey, but worth the money.

Quick Reply: GPS advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.