HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Why are Randall Made knives so expensive? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/123492-why-randall-made-knives-so-expensive.html)

okcmco 12-02-2005 08:40 PM

Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Does nayone have experience with Randall knives. they seem to be more expensive than most major knives. Are they hand made? Can they really be that good?
okcmco

Robertesq1 12-03-2005 08:41 PM

RE: Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

I have three. They are hand made, have the finest custom craftmanship are well-balanced and tough as nails. It is no mistake that many many of the most experienced outdoorsmen carry a Randall. You won't be sorry. The wait for one is 4 years from Randall or you can pay a premeum and buy on ebay. But there's nothing like handling one.

Rebel Hog 12-04-2005 11:56 AM

I seen a hand madeknife at Smoky Mountain Knife
that was made from a meteor, $999.99.

kinny 12-04-2005 01:15 PM

Could someone explain the rational for spending that much on a hunting knife. I wouldn't spend $50 on a kitchen knife that I might use 3-4 times per week, so I can't see the justification for spending $400 on a knife I might use once or twice per year. I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range... "To each his own", and you all have the right to spend your money the way you wish but I am just wondering.

Rebel Hog 12-04-2005 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: kinny

Could someone explain the rational for spending that much on a hunting knife. I wouldn't spend $50 on a kitchen knife that I might use 3-4 times per week, so I can't see the justification for spending $400 on a knife I might use once or twice per year. I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range... "To each his own", and you all have the right to spend your money the way you wish but I am just wondering.

10-4, good buddy!

St.Barnard 12-04-2005 01:40 PM

A good Buck, Gerber, or even a Case, with a good edge on it is all you need.

dog1 12-04-2005 02:48 PM

Have to agree with St. Barnard, but will carry it a step further. I have a good friend that buys $100.00 + turkey calls, I buy $15.00 calls and kill as many turkeys as him, he buys $1200.00 turkey guns, I buy $300 to $400.00, same results. In most cases, the old saying applies, you make more, you spend more.

dog1

uncle matt 12-04-2005 03:05 PM

kinny sez......

I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range...
Somehow I think that the folks with Randall knives already have those types of things. Eh?

I will tell you what I believe to be the 3 most important things you will ever need to know about knives for any purpose. In order of importance.

1. SHARP!

2. Well constructed.

3. Able to hold an edge.

Rebel Hog 12-04-2005 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

kinny sez......

I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range...
Somehow I think that the folks with Randall knives already have those types of things. Eh?

I will tell you what I believe to be the 3 most important things you will ever need to know about knives for any purpose. In order of importance.

1. SHARP!

2. Well constructed.

3. Able to hold an edge.

Yeah! Like a Boker Skining Knife or a CutCo Hunting knife!
I have been using a CutCo for almost36yrs, bought in 1970.

okcmco 12-04-2005 07:27 PM

Well don't get me wrong fellas. I love a good knife. In fact I have a collection of some expensive knives. I just noticed that new randall seem to be from 150-$400. And although Randall has been in bis for decades and they sell alot of pieces, there are nearly ZERO used randalls on the market And those you do find go for almost as much as the new ones.
I wasn't really asking how one would justify buying a randall or if anything else would do just as good. My main knife is a Frost mora made in sweeden. Plastic handle, plastic sheath, adn 10 bucks.
But if some of you have a Randall or have handled one or seen one, what is it about the Randalls that made you part with that kind of jack (or wish you could part with that kind) for one
okcmco

Robertesq1 12-05-2005 07:11 PM

Randalls are not cheap and are somthing one usually gets as a great gift when young or somthing which success allows one to treat themselves to after the familys needs have been met when older. There are many cheaper and well made knives but those of es that like quality and who can afford it why not treat themselves to the best??

RPL 12-10-2005 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: kinny

Is an expensive knife really necessary for field dressing game? No! But if someone enjoys owning and using a quality product like a Randall Knife, it's a non issue with me. Besides, most people that own a high end knife likily also own warm boots and other gear.

NautiBuoys 12-17-2005 03:39 PM

Bought mine 24 years ago andI can easily get 4x what I paid for it then. But that never figured intowhy I did buy a Randall. It was primarily I liked the looks, the construction, the forged ss bladeand it hadfeatures that I could not get from any production knife (compass,name etched on blade, etc). And, I had the resources to procure it.

The knives Iused at the time werebasically 'not cutting it'
(remember those Bucks that were impossible to re-sharpen?).

My Randallhas donewhat I wanted of itand more and it has given me years of pleasure.

kpatte26 12-18-2005 01:43 AM

From what I have seen from randall knives due to my marital arts training in arnese these were the knives everyone wanted to use when carrying a knife! they are top grade and well worth the money!

CamoCop 12-18-2005 02:03 AM

scalpals aren't expensive because people have already figured out that it's not the instrument that makes a successful surgery, it's the doctor. one blade is as good as another (as long as it's sharp) in the right hands. however i prefer a Buck or a Kershaw

Rebel Hog 12-18-2005 09:47 AM

I have been using a CutCo Hunting Knifesince 1970!
Before that a Buck hunting Knife for 15 yrs!:)

AlaskaMagnum 12-18-2005 10:24 AM

I love Helle knives from Scandanavia. The triple laminated steel is just great for holding an edge and resharpens. The price is no more than buch or a Gerber, and the custom woods and antler make it pretty.

Rebel Hog 12-18-2005 10:48 AM

You guy's ever hear of Grohman Custom Made Knives? JamesB put me on to these!:)

Grohmann Knives Limited

Sniper151 12-18-2005 12:34 PM

Randall’s are handcrafted quality knives. A knife like this is not the throw away versions available at most sporting goods and discount stores. They are made for a lifetime of use with the proper care. This is a knife that you can be proud to use and pass on to the next generation. It’s about like purchasing a Savage or H&R shotgun compared to Heim or Purdy firearm. The Savage will do just about everything the top shelf rifles will do, but on a rougher scale without all the polish and glitz. It basically boils down to what you want to pass down to your next generation. If you want to use a knife for a hammer or screw driver than a Randall is not for you. A Randall will be a keepsake, the lesser brands are disposables.

Colonel 12-22-2005 06:03 AM

Here's why I have Randall knives. A few years ago (1968) just after entering the Army, I bought a Randall knife. At the time, Randall was a fairly small company, with a very big reputation for quality, especially among those of us who may need to do more than skin a deer. I carried mine through Infantry basic training, Airborne, Ranger and SFOC. I carried it in RVN and,by the timeI came home, the micarta handle had come a little loose, and the leather sheath was showing signs of wear. I sent the knife to Randall, asking him to repair the handle, fully expecting to pay for the repair. Not only did he replace the micarta with new, he refinished the knife to new condition and sent me a new sheath. I carried that knife for another 20 years, until I gave it to my son on the day I pinned his Ranger tab on him. He will some day give it to his son. That's why I love Randall knives.

Gerry

Robertesq1 12-23-2005 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Colonel

Here's why I have Randall knives. A few years ago (1968) just after entering the Army, I bought a Randall knife. At the time, Randall was a fairly small company, with a very big reputation for quality, especially among those of us who may need to do more than skin a deer. I carried mine through Infantry basic training, Airborne, Ranger and SFOC. I carried it in RVN and,by the timeI came home, the micarta handle had come a little loose, and the leather sheath was showing signs of wear. I sent the knife to Randall, asking him to repair the handle, fully expecting to pay for the repair. Not only did he replace the micarta with new, he refinished the knife to new condition and sent me a new sheath. I carried that knife for another 20 years, until I gave it to my son on the day I pinned his Ranger tab on him. He will some day give it to his son. That's why I love Randall knives.

Gerry
Gerry what model are you talking about.

Sniper151 12-24-2005 02:45 PM

My Dad gave me a Randall model 25 with a leather handle in 1970 and it’s the only knife I use hunting or packing. In September I ordered a model 19 Bushmaster with a stag handle that I have always wanted. I’ll have plenty of time to save up because the estimated shipping date is January 2010.

Colonel 12-28-2005 06:16 AM

The currently available knife identical to the one I carried can be found here: http://www.randallknives.com/military.asp

This is the one:
B. Model 15 "Airman" -- 5 ½" blade of 1/4" stock. Top cutting edge sharpened. 4 ½" Black Micarta handle. (Name etching, name plate, stainless steel blade, sawteeth, forward curved hilt and nickel silver hilt are available at additional charge.) Construction same as Model 14 except shorter blade. Comes with standard Black Micarta finger grip handle. (Green micarta handle material available upon request.) Single finger grip and Border Patrol shapes available at additional charge. Designed especially for air crew survival and combat purposes in cooperation with U.S. Marine Corps Equipment Board. (Wt. 10 oz.)
Price: $300 - (5 1/2")

Gerry

buckhtr77 12-29-2005 03:16 PM

I ordered 2 today. A model 25 and a model 3. Going to put the 25 away in the safe and use the 3 for hunting. I would get fired up about getting new things, but the 4.5 year wait puts that fire out. Anyways, I'm looking forward to having them. I ordered the model 3 with Black/Red Micarta (I saw one of these on Ebay and really like it), 5 inch carbon blade, wrist thong, nickel/silver hilt, compass, and my name etched in it. Well at least I have a long time to pay the bill. Thanks for turning me onto these.

I'm working on getting my father to order some knives with me. I would like to get matching knives for him, my son, my wives son, and myself. I think it would be neat to have knives of this caliber in a matched set like that.

Well, take care and have a good new year.

Robertesq1 12-29-2005 06:11 PM

Gerry: Great knife. I have an Airman (with a Border Patrol Handle) but, unlike yours, its a safe queen.

My Randall user id the Model 8 Bird & Trout knife.

Robertesq1 12-29-2005 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: buckhtr77

I ordered 2 today. A model 25 and a model 3. Going to put the 25 away in the safe and use the 3 for hunting. I would get fired up about getting new things, but the 4.5 year wait puts that fire out. Anyways, I'm looking forward to having them. I ordered the model 3 with Black/Red Micarta (I saw one of these on Ebay and really like it), 5 inch carbon blade, wrist thong, nickel/silver hilt, compass, and my name etched in it. Well at least I have a long time to pay the bill. Thanks for turning me onto these.

I'm working on getting my father to order some knives with me. I would like to get matching knives for him, my son, my wives son, and myself. I think it would be neat to have knives of this caliber in a matched set like that.

Well, take care and have a good new year.
You can getsome selected modelsright away (for a premium price) at http://www.agrussell.com/knives/handmade/randall_made_knives.html

porknbeans 01-04-2006 05:42 AM

I was interested in buying one, but the nearly 5 year wait doesn't play into my personality. :) I'm going to keep looking for a knife of that caliber that I can pick up in a shorter time frame. Any suggestions?

Robertesq1 01-07-2006 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: porknbeans

I was interested in buying one, but the nearly 5 year wait doesn't play into my personality. :) I'm going to keep looking for a knife of that caliber that I can pick up in a shorter time frame. Any suggestions?
Sure ebay sells them all the time you pay a premium usually but if you take your time you can do pretty well. Getting the knife 5 years early is worth the 15-20% uppage. If you dont mind slightly used or find a motivated seller you can do better.
http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/randall_Knives-Swords-Blades_W0QQfclZ3QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ1401

Sniper151 01-07-2006 07:30 AM

porknbeans, check out Al Mar knives. Quality and you can pick one up on eBay,

porknbeans 01-09-2006 05:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been watching ebay for Randall, but I'm not ready to pay that much just to have one now. I will also check into the Al Mar knives as well as some others that were mentioned earlier.

JagMagMan 01-10-2006 10:21 PM

Call me frugal, call me cheap! My 10.00,25+ year old, Coleman/Western Skinner, will skin anything a Randall will!

Rebel Hog 01-10-2006 10:42 PM

Hey Cheap Frugal, my wife bought me a CutCo Hunting Skinner in 1970 and it's still skinnig!:D:D:D:D

JagMagMan 01-11-2006 02:53 AM

Careful there Reb, careful! They will soon start figuring out our age! or WORSE.........CutCo, and Coleman will get popular, and they'll raise their prices! But, thats OK............
we'll probably never need to buy another one in our lifetimes!:D

Rebel Hog 01-11-2006 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Careful there Reb, careful! They will soon start figuring out our age! or WORSE.........CutCo, and Coleman will get popular, and they'll raise their prices! But, thats OK............
we'll probably never need to buy another one in our lifetimes!:D

Jag, the crazy thing is, I go to Smoky Mountain Knifetwice a year and always leave with one!:D:D:D
Still using the CutCo and it's 36 years old!:)

JagMagMan 01-11-2006 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog
Jag, the crazy thing is, I go to Smoky Mountain Knifetwice a year and always leave with one!:D:D:D
Yeah, I'm really just pickin' on these guys! I have many knives too! But my trusty ol' Coleman/Western,IS my "go to" blade!
Speaking of Smoky Mountain Knives, we've had trouble getting catalogs from them over here! Have they scaled back business?I'd love to go there, if I'm ever in the neigborhood!

Rebel Hog 01-11-2006 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog
Yeah, I'm really just pickin' on these guys! I have many knives too! But my trusty ol' Coleman/Western,IS my "go to" blade!
Speaking of Smoky Mountain Knives, we've had trouble getting catalogs from them over here! Have they scaled back business?I'd love to go there, if I'm ever in the neigborhood!

Gosh Jag, they were finishing the third floor when I was there in Oct.,05. You might want to order it over the phone?

okcmco 01-12-2006 07:47 AM

Hey Jagman and Rebel Hog. I remeber a line for something "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever". Maybe when one buy s a Randall, He ceases to have interest in cheap assembly line made knives. I don't know.
I know I just spent $3000.00 on an electric guitar. And I can't put it down. It just .......fits in my hands.
okcmco

Rebel Hog 01-12-2006 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: okcmco

Hey Jagman and Rebel Hog. I remeber a line for something "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever". Maybe when one buy s a Randall, He ceases to have interest in cheap assembly line made knives. I don't know.
I know I just spent $3000.00 on an electric guitar. And I can't put it down. It just .......fits in my hands.
okcmco

I would take a custom Grohmann over a Randall anyday!:)
It's not in the beauty, it's in the steel and the edge it keeps!

Every knife, a masterpiece
Proudly North American Made for Over 45 Years

porknbeans 01-12-2006 08:48 AM

Rebel, that's my point though. Every knife I've owned from $40-140 doesn't hold an edge very well. I've had Benchmade, Kershaw, Buck (the worst) and others. I'm willing to spend a little more to buy a knife that will hopefully hold an edge better and longer. I went to the costco website because of the fondness you have for your knife and the complications with buying one make me nervous. If you have some insight into costco and how you buy stuff, I'd be happy to hear it (either here or via email). Thanks.

Rebel Hog 01-12-2006 09:43 AM

Bean's, did you go into Costco web-site? You need to go to the Cutco web-site!:)

CUTCO Cutlery : Welcome

Subject: Re: There are at least eight disadvantages to Cutco knives.
Date: September 10, 2004 at 11:35 am PST
In Reply to: There are at least eight disadvantages to Cutco knives. posted by Sean on March 28, 2004 at 8:27 am:
1. My family has had cutco for 25 years and we have only had to sharpen them about 3 times.
2. its not a serrated edge. serrated edges can NOT be resharpened.
3. henkels doesnt have a forever garantee.
4. the last time they were resharpened, someone came to the house and did it. we didnt pay s**t.
5. the blades are perfectly balanced, what do you mean when you say they arent balanced?
6. Now, im not a huge fan of knives in general, but i *do* know that cutco's table knife is the best damn knife out there. Yeah, kitchen knives arent made to cut thru leather, but ill tell you, it cuts clean and true through food as well.
7. If youve never really owned cutco, you cant say it sucks. weve had wustof. we like cutco better.