Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Coveralls vs. Jacket + Bibs...more versatile? >

Coveralls vs. Jacket + Bibs...more versatile?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Coveralls vs. Jacket + Bibs...more versatile?

Old 11-15-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Coveralls vs. Jacket + Bibs...more versatile?

I am going to Iowa to hunt on Dec. 18. It will be really cold and I am looking at investing in a good coat, or coveralls. What do you guys that hunt in this cold weather use and recommend. I am from Louisiana and i probably can't tolerate the cold as well as you can. Haha. Also, what would be the best choice since I will be bringing whatever I buy back home to hunta little, meaning which one would serve better for sub-zero to 40 degree weather. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coveralls vs. Jacket + Bibs...more versatile?

Layer in fleece and wool. Cabela's makes a good bib.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:11 PM

prefer bib/jacket. more versatile and i believe a little warmer in combination as you have 2 layers at your midsection when both are worn
Old 11-22-2005, 06:39 AM

I've always found coveralls tobe somewhat restrictive. Great for working, but not especially good for hunting. Bibs and a cost allow me to somewhat regulate the heat by adjusting the jacket or even removing it completely if it gets too warm or I go back to the truck or inside. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Bibs and a coat are more versatile , but they can be a bit "drafty" where they separate . They do have the advantage of being worn separately if temps climb , but I don't think that will be a problem where you're going . They are generally more expensive to buy than coveralls .

Coveralls are more restrictive unless you do like me and get them a size larger and/or taller , but you won't have a cold breeze suddenly catch you by surprise . My normal clothes are large , but when buying coveralls I get XL tall , this ensures that I have plenty of room and even some extra space in case I have to layer under them . Of equal importance will be your footwear , don't skimp on the insulation there and don't lace them tightly while on stand to avoid cutting down your blood circulation . Cold feet can drive me off stand faster than anything else .
Old 11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

When the weather here turns nasty I don a pair of Cabela's bibs with fleece pants under that and next to the skin I wear "Smartwool" pants, which is basically Merino wool and it doesn't itch. I layer the upper part so to be able to adjust my clothes. Layering especially important if you will be walking. If stand hunting insulated boots large enough to accommodate thick socks are important. Kevin made a good point about not having boots laced (fitted) too tight, doing so will result in cold feet no matter how good the insulation in the boot is. Also warm headgear is very important.
P.S. No cotton.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Bibs and the jacket! If the weather is a little warmer than normal you will appreciate being able to walk in with your jacket off and putting it on later.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

I do a combination thing myself. When its still not too cold I use a bib with a light jacket or sweatshirt. Once its colder I have coveralls a couple sizes big for me so I can move or layer under it & if its really cold I'll put the bib over the coveralls with or without a jacket. Never heard of anyone else doing this but no one ever accused me of being normal.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Bibs and the jacket! If the weather is a little warmer than normal you will appreciate being able to walk in with your jacket off and putting it on later.
Silly me , I've always just unzipped my coveralls and tied the sleeves together over my waist when it warms up ...
Old 11-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Never heard of that Kevin, but thats a great idea if a hunter wears coveralls.

Quick Reply: Coveralls vs. Jacket + Bibs...more versatile?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.