Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Summit or Api

Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Summit or Api

Hey guys. I have been hunting lately on the ground in a thick bush and I can see barely 20 yards ahead of me. I'm thinking about getting a good quality climbing stand, so which is better, the summit viper x5 or the api non-typical?
Which is more comfortable, durable?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Summit or Api

Summit. Without question... The most lightest, comfortable, most rugged,stable and secure, climber of all. Oh and when I say comfortable - I mean it's like a Lazy-boy recliner up in a tree. The Summit Viper and Goliath stands are so comfortable, you'll find yourself nodding off to sleep! Ask me how I know - I've done it!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Summit 100%
Old 11-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit...100% and American made! Very very good stands and an even better company to do business with. I have been using Vipers for close to 10 years. Thats one thing I wouldnt even consider changing.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recently picked up a Summit Goliath X5 climber. Awesome stand!! Being 6'-0" and 255lbs, the extra 2" of width on the top section, as well as being rated for 350 lbs, sold me on this stand. You "can" actually nap in it, it's that comfortable. Weight wise at 21 lbs, it's not to bad to carry into the woods. I also strapmy backpak and jacket to the stand, so it does get somewhat heavy, but still not that bad. I love that front bar. Sure makes climbing easier as well as making shots safer by being able to lean against it while shooting. The only problem, if you'd call it that, was the thought of taking a shot behind you. Your lower cam might smack into the either of the arms of the top section if you not careful. So, just set up facing in the direction that you expect to take a shot from. Two thumbs up on the Summit Goliath X5!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Until this year my favorite was the API bowhunter model. In spring of this year I purchased the Grand Slam Magnum Bowhunter and really like it. Of the three stands I use, Loggy, and the two API's the magnum is my favorite. I have not used the Summit so I can't compare the two, but the API is very well built, quiet and very comfortable.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:13 PM

I've owned both Summit and API stands...Summit is hands down a better stand.
From it's engineeringand framework it's a better stand IMO. Oh, I own the Viper x5...great stand...e-mail me if you have any questions
Old 11-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have to agree on the Summit. The cables are much better to adjust then API's pin threw theplastic covered chain deal. I just bought a X5 Goliath and the new stirrups are awesome. The only thing I hated with the climbers were getting my big feet into those straps and trying to bend down with the stand on a 45degree angle and get those bungies around my ankles it sucked. The stirrups eliminate all of that just step infront of bungie and slide foot behind stirrips. Natchezz has the Goliaths for 229 plus shipping.

If any of you have the old style foot supports, get the stirrups makes life alot easier.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with most of the others as well. I have owned both API and Summit and feel that Summit offers the better design. The stands grab the tree better and the cable system is extremely easy to use. No lost wingnuts or clips. They are also extremely comfortable for extended hunting sessions.