Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Wool hunting coat, good quality >

Wool hunting coat, good quality

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wool hunting coat, good quality

Old 10-20-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Wool hunting coat, good quality

Hi guys! I was wondering which wool hunting coats are good quality; the kind that you can wear for a lifetime? Is there a kind that you have been wearing for many years; that you reach for every season? If so, I'd like to hear about it and what brand it is. Do you think that most hunting garments available today can last a lifetime? I'd like as many opinions as possible.

Thanks for all the info and opinion
Old 10-21-2005, 04:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wool hunting coat, good quality

Our climate is too temperate for wool , but if I needed to wear it Cabela's has a good selection , and so does other big box retailers such as Bass Pro Shops .
Old 10-21-2005, 05:55 AM

Matt. I am a fan of wool. most of the guys in deer camp come out with the latest, most advance space age clothing on, and I just show up in wool. Now the other guys are starting to follow my lead and switch to natural fibers.
Anyway, the best wool coat PERIOD is the Filson Mackinaw. They make a jacket, crusier and double mackinaw. They are usually made of 24oz wool of the best quality. I think the website is www.filson.com. They will run from about 225-325 US. Expensive but will last a lifetime.
Also look at woolrich and columbia. Usually in the 80-125 range.
Do a search on ebay too. Search wool jacket and Mackinaw. I have a mackinaw that is LL bean brand but seems to be made by woolrich circa 1950's. I got it for 25 bucks. Bean and Cabelas also had stuff made by filson
okcmco
Old 10-21-2005, 06:15 AM

I'm with okcmco on this one. Filson makes the best wool coats I've seen. My dad has had a double Mac for 20 years and it shows no sign of wear. He unfortunately has to buy a new one because the middle of the coat isn't expanding as fast as his middle.

I've got a Mac liner for my tin coat and it is awesome. Zip in for extra warmth, wear alone for an everyday coat and the tin coat is wonderful for when it rains or as an extra wind break.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:12 PM

Filson Double Mackinaw. Period
Old 10-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Sleeping Indian. Has some very good wool clothing.
Cabelas just picked them up in 2005.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:06 PM

Matthew V.,

I would also recommend Weatherby Performance Wool. I looked at the other lines and decided to go with Weatherby. It comes in both lightweight ( 14 oz.) and heavyweight (28 oz.). I picked up a late season parka ($225 -marked down to $119, at Scheel's in Iowa).You can machine wash these and line dry.

Regards,

GS
Old 10-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Highpower

Filson Double Mackinaw. Period
In camo!!

(love mine)
Old 10-29-2005, 05:23 PM

Cabelas has a sale on the columbia wool coats and pants. They are very weather resistant (not water porof) and come in cammo. My hunting partner just took his new one to Vham with me for an elk hunt. He said of all the new gear he bought for the hunt (Sako finnlight, leica binos, GPS, Danner boots, leupold vx3) he claimed the Colubia wool jacket and the danner boots were the bets purchases he made. They are usually 150 but are on sale for 79.99 now. If you can't afford a Filson, this might be an option
okcmco
Old 10-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another great wool clothing company is "king of the Mountain". Check the link below.

http://www.kingofthemountain.com/http/

Quick Reply: Wool hunting coat, good quality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.