Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hearing aids

Old 10-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hearing aids

Going deaf in my right ear. I was thinking about getting one of those hearing aids for hunting. Are these things worth it? Any good or bad brands? I don't want to spend too much, but I would like to be able to hear out of both ears again.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hearing aids

Either nobody knows, or I'm so deaf that I can't see your posts!!! Anyone?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:34 PM
BFR
Spike

Can you hear me now.....?

Sorry I don't have any first hand experience, but I'm also interested in a hearing aid that will protect from gun blasts. It looks like the Walker's game ear is the best thing going for the buck. There's a new one out that is super expensive, but I've heard good things about the Walkers.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was also looking at walker's game ears. Recently, I've seen some that look like ear muffs for the range, but they are supposed to amplify ambiant noise, while reducing gunshots to around the 80 decibal range. Now I'm not sure if I would like the muff style, or the "in the ear" style. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I think there is a big difference between someone who needs them to correct a hearing loss and others who merely need them to stop loud sounds and increase hearing ability(recreational purpose). If your deaf etc in one ear etc than stop playing around and go see a pro about it, you may not realize it but your probably pissing everyone off to the point where they don't even want to talk to you anymore cuz your always asking WHHAATT DDI YOU SAY? Personal experience with such persons and believe me, people will just get angry at you over time or they will think you are an idiot. Anyways, got one of thein theear units and i use it to increase my hearing ability in the woods while hunting. Sometimes it worksgreat and sometimes it doesn't. If there is no wind and I'm listening for leaves being crunched underfoot they are great, other times I have to fiddle with them too much or wind cancels any plus they give me. Overall I probably wouldn't get them again and would only recomend them to people who have poor hearing(not me). As far asmuzzle blast at the range,I use a dedicated set of electronic ear muffs which Ihighly recomend so you can talk with others at the range and actually hear people. During hunting(knock on wood)muzzle blastisnot a real consideration since I only shoot once. good luck, and please, if you have a real hearing problem do something more than buy a game ear.We used to think my cousin wasimpaired, low IQ or "special"(Whats the PC term?)until he got a hearing aid. It was like nite and day in how you interacted with him. Take care.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Pica Gallo, I tried game ear one time here in FL., but I
was picking up all the noises from the palmettos and
trees when the wind blows. I just did'nt care for it!