Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Binoculars?

Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 AM

Default RE: Binoculars?

You might also check out the Pentax line. I have a pair of 10x50 that are every bit as good as the Nikon Monarchs at half the price.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

You might also check out the Pentax line. I have a pair of 10x50 that are every bit as good as the Nikon Monarchs at half the price.
Half the price? Are they roofs or porros?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:37 AM

They are Porro's. But they were every bit as good as the Nikon. Little bit bigger but not that much. They are the Pentax 10x50 PCF WP model. I really like them a lot and I think I got them for around $110 after the rebate they had on at the time.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks. I was looking through the Cabelas book and noticed them along with their slightly more expensive counterparts. I have a set of the XPs and am fond of the Pentax sharpness and clarity. I will give them a look when I head out to Cabelas this week.

Anybody else use binos?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a pair of Leupold Wind River Katmai 8x32 and am not impressed with them at all. I was in between the Nikon Monarchs and these Leupolds and went with the Leupolds primarily because that was the scope I purchased for my rifle. I would not recommend these to anybody. I don't have any experience with Leupold's other models though.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mustad,

What was it about the Katmais that you didn't like? Narrow field of view? Size? Light gathering ability?

The reason I ask is because the Pentax XPs that I have are supposedly somehow related to the Katmais.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Hi PA,

The specific Katmai that I got was the 6x32s. The major complaint I have is the ability to focus in on an object at any distance. Last year, I was hunting with a buddy who was using another brand of binoculars (can't remember brand) of same magnification. About 200 yards away, we spotted a deer. He was able to tell me that it was a good 8 point buck at the very least. Honestly, I could not tell whether it was a buck or doe. I tried my best to focus the image, but just couldn't get a clear enough image to identify it. Inside 100 yards, I was not having that problem, but I'm not sure I would really need binoculars to identify a buck within that distance unless it was a small spike.

The other thing I didn't like was the screw out eyepiece. Note, I do not wear glasses and Leupold advertises this feature as one great for people wearing glasses. I just don't like the fact that I have to screw the eyepiece out to get a decent field of vision. When they are not screwed out, your field of vision is extremely narrow (at least that's what I found). This was initially a selling point to me as it was more compact than the other models I was looking at. In the field, though, it quickly became more of a nuiscance.

I cannot complain about the amount of light as it seemed adequate.

Regarding size and weight, I just think you could probably do the same, well actually better, job with more compact glasses.

I hope this helps you.

Good luck,

Dan
Old 08-29-2005, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

PA,

BTW, the incident with the deer was not isolated. It continues to happen even when I'm spotting the Loon(s) and ducks on the lake i live on. I just thought the deer incident was more applicable given the use.

Also, he ended up missing the buck so I couldn't tell you what it ended up as.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 08-29-2005, 07:34 AM

I use Swarovski 8X56 or Leica 10X42. They're both excellent.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

PABowhntr, After hunting the high country of CO for many different big game animals there is no doubt in my mind that you need more than one pair binoculars. I own a pair of 10X32 for hunting in the timber where every body part counts and size can be a problem for a bowhunter. I own 2 pair of Pentax DCF water proof binoculars, 10X42 & 8X42. The pair of 10s is used for sheep, goat and other long range glassing. The 8s are used mostly for deer and elk hunting, You will find they gather light better at dusk or dawn that 10s will.And for me porros are to bulky, roofs are the way to go.
Gselkhunter

Quick Reply: Binoculars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.