Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Fire starter recommendations

Old 07-14-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Fire starter recommendations

I always carry a couple Bic's in my day pack, and I don't often hunt unfamiliar ground, but I thought the small investment in one of these flint and steel kits might be a wise idea. Better to have one and never need it than need it and not have it I guess. Anybody have any experience in which is best?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fire starter recommendations

The flint is a real good idea for a fire starter. Another of my favorites that many have never thought or heard of......................my 9V battery and steel wool. When you touch the contacts of the battery to the wool it will QUICKLY glow orange. Know what I mean.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try. I was thinking about some of the flint and steel, or flint and magnesium kits that are sold. Something that will not run dry, or run down, or otherwise become unsuable if it sits in my hunting pack fora few years. I have seen a few I like, but wondered if any of the fine folks here had any experience with them.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing you could add is a film canister full of cotton balls that have been drenched in vasaline. These will burn for a couple of minutes each and are very easy to light. In addition to the flint and magnesium they will prove to be very helpful in making a fire under any conditions.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree about the magnesium and flint fire starter. That combo has been proven to work for years and years in any conditions.

Butch A.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:00 PM
XTP

Better to have one and never need it than need it and not have it
...couldn't have said it better myself !! I hunt some very familiarareas but these are the deep woods of Canada and are very easy to get turned around in.ThereforeI always carry several methods of fire starting...it can mean the difference between life and death.(1)A bic or two is a good starting point but they do not work very well if cold.(2) The old standby of wooden matches in a waterproof container and some folded up paper and dryer lint for tinder.(3) Zippo lighters are real nice cause you can light it and set it down leaving both hands free to get your fire going....and lastly a magnesium fire starter(4).....just picked one up this year but have started a couple "practice" fires in the firepit and it seems to work well however it does burn fast so have your tinder ready.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep a bic, matches, and esbit tablets in my pack. Last time out camping we got to the spot about a half hour before sunset, gathered some wood while the others pitched the tents. I had a fire going before the rainfly went on the third tent. and we were cooking shortly thereafter. Although I do have to say I really like my MSR stove.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not generally far enough to honestly consider it an emergency but I normally carry kitchen matches or lighter. I have one of those mag and steel starters and if you have it when the emergency arrives it would be great.

But the emergency kit I consider most vital I carry right in my head.
http://www.trackertrail.com/survival/fire/cokeandchocolatebar/part2/index.html
I never really worry about it much unless I'm in a fly in camp in the Canadian wilderness or something.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:28 AM

Years ago, I started filling empty snuff (Skoal/Copenhagen) cans with bits of those artificial firelogs. Packed full with the lid on and electrical tape to seal the lid, these things will last for years in your hunting gear. They weigh next to nothing and it only takes one match to get them ignited. They will also burn plenty long enough to get a good fire going. I recently tested one that I've had for 10 years, and it worked perfect.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I carry a magnesium starter , it always work . A common birthday candle if protected from the wind will light the wettest wood . Tea lights work well too , as do votive candles . Trioxane bars are cheap and work well . If you have a charcoal type hand warmer(I do) you can use the charcoal bar inside to get tender going .

Quick Reply: Fire starter recommendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.