Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help me buy a GPS.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help me buy a GPS.

Hey all i was looking into buying me a GPS to use while out hunting. What i would like from it is to get me into and out of the woods and mark bedding areas, scrapes, rubs, etc... I was wondering if any of u guys would have any suggestions at what GPS i should look into buying that will be good for what i want it. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank You.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Help me buy a GPS.

I am a big Garmin fan.Great product,great customer service! If you intend to hunt in area's with a lot of over head canopy,ask as to which units are the best under those circumstances (least likely to lose signal).They are a fantastic scouting tool.Good luck!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I picked up a Magellan Sportrack Map about a year and a half ago and have been entirely pleased with its performance for hunting and other activities. The mapping function is invaluable in my opinion and makes using the unit much easier. I would highly recommend it especially considering the price.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

I was looking at the Garmin Legend and was wondering if anyone knows if its any good?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Etrex Legend, I figured it would be a good mid level unit for doing the same things you say. You will definitely want to get the Mapsource topo cd. If your looking for all kinds of info and extra goodies get the Magellan, for a no frills get it done unit the Legend is the way to go.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:42 AM

I consider myself an expert in the areas of GPS/GIS, considering it's my profession as a map maker. Let me first say that for hunting and fishing you want to go with something that is WAAS enabled, the accuracy is great.

Garmin Etrex Legend is great for the price.

~Vin
Old 06-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vinnybugg,

With your experience you would be doing us all a favor if you could give us "commoners" a comparison of some of the better GPS units on the market.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:35 PM

Antler Eater and all of above posters,

What you want to look for in GPS units a thing called WAAS (Wide Area Augmention System). What it does is get you within + - 3 meters whereas without it, you are looking at approxiametly 15 meters. As I reread the original post, you are looking for something to mark bedding areas and such. We all know that many times in the thick brush or even overgrowth it's hard to see 15 meters, yes it is also sometimes to see 3 meters but I'll take those odds any day.

Also what you may want is the ability to upload maps into the GPS, Personally I like to see where I am on a map and see what's ahead of me rather than going into unfamiliar terrian 'blind'. Garmin makes in my opinion (and it is just my opinion) a great overall GPS which includes all of the listed above.

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend and Vistamyself in the woods, and Trimble units at work.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Etrex Legend. Great unit, won't break the bank.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:33 PM

E TREX LEGEND best bang for your buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.