Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help me buy a GPS.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Default RE: Help me buy a GPS.

Garmin supports their units - I just downloaded new firmware for mine today from them. I recently upgraded to a color GPS that has the ability to take downloaded topo maps. I find color adds a lot to these devices.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Well i would just like to Thank all of u guys for ur input on this post. I went to Bass Pro today and bought the Garmin E trex Legend. Was playing with it for about an hour and im starting to get to know it. From the few features i saw im liking it already. Has alot of nice little features and who knows what else it has. 2morrow im going to spend hours reading the manual and trying it out. I will post a review here after i get to use it fully.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Vinnybugg

I consider myself an expert in the areas of GPS/GIS, considering it's my profession as a map maker. Let me first say that for hunting and fishing you want to go with something that is WAAS enabled, the accuracy is great.

Garmin Etrex Legend is great for the price.

~Vin
I too am a GIS Professional and have to worry about GPS units for work. I personally own a Garmin eTrex Legend for the reasons already stated here. I'm all for the WAAS enabled GPS units and will always own one, but I'm also from the Rocky Mtns. The WAAS signal is hard to pick up out here. Keep this in mind when bringing your units out West. The coasts it's great, but I find myself without the signal more than not here. With that in mind, if you come out to the West and aren't getting the WAAS signal, disable it and save your batteries.

You made an excellent purchase. Like Vin, I use Trimble at work and wish I could take them to field!!