Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Fanny packs

Old 06-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Fanny packs

I'm looking for a new fanny pack for an elk hunt. I'll be on horseback sometimes during the hunt. I've got my left-over military stuff and web gear I can use but I'd look like someone who came home from a rummage sale if I wear it with the camo I plan to wear.
Has anyone got any suggestions? Gander Mountain has lots of stuff, eiter really big or far too small. Where can I look?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:55 AM

Default RE: Fanny packs

What do you plan to carry in it? That'd help with suggestions.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rick_reno

What do you plan to carry in it? That'd help with suggestions.
yeah that would help a tad. i got one at bass pro that seems to be about perfect for me and for use while deer hunting. but it just depends alot on what you want to carry.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:55 AM

Okay, here's a list of things that will probably go into the pack; compass, GPS, batteries, space blanket,plastic tarp, flashlight, more battieries, signal whistle, camera, waterproof mateches, glow sticks, munchies, a couple of MRE's, eye glasses, ammo, extra socks, chemical heaters, baby wipes and toilet paper and a small First Aid Kit.
Ten years of Search and Rescue training tells me I can't have enough stuff with me if I need it. The old man in me tells me I have to carry this stuff around for 8 days. The pack I now have isn't big enough for all this. My backpacks are too big and cumbersome and not an option for horseback.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm trying to think of it... but i think bass pro has a very large fanny pack that's called the guide pack or something like that. it's a very large fanny pack with shoulder straps if i'm not mistakened. if i go on basspro.com i'll check it out and see if i can find it.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look for a pack that has the thick, soft rubbery stuff along the insides. It will help to keep it from riding down. A wide strap. Water bottle holder(s) are a must. Make sure the bottle holder holds standard water bottles you buy in store. Some come with their own bottles you fill, but I find their tops weird to unscrew.

For pockets, a few various sizes for your specific odds and ends a smaaler comp for cartridges, a medium comp for radio/gps/batteries. And them the large compartment. Look for dividers in large comp so you don't just have a pile of stuff in there with all the small stuff settling to the bottom where you gotta dig for it.

Personally I find "fanny" packs to be rather undersized. I like the larger packs.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 06-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Spike

Look at LL Bean. They have a Big Game Lumbar pack. I bought it several years ago. The design has changed by adding teh fold over top. This looks like an enhancement.When the pack rides down, I sometines use teh shoulder starp to help with the support.

I was able to put binos, calls, hoist rope, clippers, small saw, extra batteries, flashlight, knife, compass, scents, mask, gloves, snacks, release and morein the pack.

Crooked horn outfitters alsohas an intermediate back-pack
Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: slowaspossible

I'm looking for a new fanny pack for an elk hunt. I'll be on horseback sometimes during the hunt. I've got my left-over military stuff and web gear I can use but I'd look like someone who came home from a rummage sale if I wear it with the camo I plan to wear.
Has anyone got any suggestions? Gander Mountain has lots of stuff, eiter really big or far too small. Where can I look?
It sounds to me like you will have a little more than normal, so just enough that a 7 pocket wrap around fanny pack won't cover. I'd look into the packs with shoulder straps (X cross around the back to front). That much gear will weigh down over time. Cabela's has alot listed with a wide variety of sizes. Even though you may not need a full pack, I personally buy the "Hunting Pack" by Dwight Schuh (about the same price as the X strap fanny packs). It's modular with a fanny pack, day pack and frame. Best meat packing backpack ever IMO and you have endless options to take one size over the next, etc. Also, without the X straps, I'd look into the Badlands packs. They have a very unique fold down system that's quiet and adds room. Might be right up your ally.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:15 AM

Slow..
I just purchased one last year from Bass Pro and have found it to be a great tool on all my hunts. This could possibly be the one that Hunter06 is talking about. It has 2 mail compartments, and some smaller side pockets along with the Buddy system that will allow you to customize it a little. It also has the removable shoulder straps which I beleive to help tremendously when the pack is full. It also has straps on it should you need to put heavier clothing on the outside. All in all, I couldn't find a better one for the money...it's only around $40.00.
I've included the link to it on Bass Pro's website for more info, and if you want to order it.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=49087&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=7&hvarSubCode= 12&hvarTarget=browse
I'm also very picky about what I take in the woods as far as durability, quiteness, functionality, etc. and this one has lived up to my expectations!
Good Luck, and hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2005, 05:31 PM

I would check out Maxpeditions stuff (www.maxpedition.com). Their stuff is super heavy duty, and very modular. You can buy a nice fanny pack from them that will attach to a backpack with a couple of malice clips. I have a few of their products, if you should have any question about them.

Brian

Quick Reply: Fanny packs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.