Community
Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

Gun Shy

Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Gun Shy

O.k. guy's.... I really need your help on this one. I have a Springer Spaniel that does nothing but chase birds all day long. This is great and all but as soon as she hears a gun shot she runs to the next area code. She is also afraid of thunder and all other loud noises. I didn't start her early she is primarily a family dog. She is from a great bloodline, and an absolute love to be around. I'm afraid if I force her to hunt she might become afraid of me. I have never trained a dog before. How do I get this dog to get over being gun shy w/out making her scared of me?????
Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gun Shy

Try using a 22 short wile traninig. Praise her after thegun shot. u may have to tie her up. start off with the small caliber. use some kind of a treat, good luck ist very tough to break a gun shy dog!!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gun Shy

Take a small cap gun to start off with.Every time you feed her take a shot with the cap gun.Then just start working your way to bigger and louder guns.This has worked for many on 2 different dogs so far.