Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Got Another 1

Old 08-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got Another 1

Went out Saturday night. Rained all day long. It died down so I decided to sit. I was targeting 2 sows that were both about to explode. 8 came out. We were trying to double up and the opportunity for both never happened. We ended up finding one. Once we found one we tried looking for the others. Rain started to pour down. We abandoned the search. With it already being wet it was pretty difficult to track then the pouring rain was enough. I really don't like pigs.
Attached Thumbnails Got Another 1-img_3222.jpg  
Old 08-19-2019, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Jg,

I'm glad that we don't have them locally. I've seen the destruction that they do.

There are a few scattered populations in Ohio and PA. I even saw one once while hunting in PA. But I didn't know what I was looking at at the time as I was just a kid.

We were putting a drive on through a creek bottom out to a power line and field edge. I was standing on a pile of brush , thad been pushed up by a bulldozer, watching for deer to hit the power line. Down through the brush I saw what looked like a little black football running through the brush. Absolutely on a tear. I was just a kid and thought it had to have been a baby bear. But another guy in our group got a better look and it was a group of pigs and that was one of the small ones.

Several hunters in the area ended up shooting them.

All that being said..... They sure are fun to hunt. I've had a blast both times I've hunted them in Florida. And I wished I lived a little closer so that I could go more often!

​​​​​​The six I've cut up have all made excellent sausage as well.

-Jake
Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Down through the brush I saw what looked like a little black football running through the brush. Absolutely on a tear.

-Jake
LOLOL! “What looked like a little Black Football” I’m stil Laughing!! Even the domestic ones have a HIGH speed Forward Gear!

I couldn’t resist! Seemed fitting here LOL!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

They are fun to shoot and they make good target practice during the summer. All we do is grind the meat up and mix with venison for summer sausage.
I really don't like the way they taste on their own. The diet is so poor down here, the meat just isn't good, my opinion though.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
They are fun to shoot and they make good target practice during the summer. All we do is grind the meat up and mix with venison for summer sausage.
I really don't like the way they taste on their own. The diet is so poor down here, the meat just isn't good, my opinion though.
I wish i lived reasonably close to somewhere i could hunt them, There is a Game Farm several hundred miles south of me, But It is a “Canned Hunt” and i am just not in to that sorta stuff. The Guy has a LARGE section of land, and the Hogs Run wild on it. I have often wondered how Idaho would feel if those things got loose here? I don’t believe they would do that well here in the Winter though? Idaho gets LOTS of Snow (6-8 feet is pretty common, at least up here in North Idaho) I don’t think the Frigid Cold would hurt them, But the lack of food for as long as our Winters are would be tough. But It would be a MECA for them in the Spring/Summer Months

I have watched lot’s of videos and they look like a LOT of fun to hunt. I have wondered what the flavor would be like? No doubt they wouldn’t taste the same as a Farm Raised, well Fed Hog. I bet they can REALLY tear up a piece of property in a hurry, domestic ones sure can.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Flavor depends on what they're eating I think

-Jake
Old 08-22-2019, 02:19 AM
Typical Buck

As long as there is food, I'm sure hogs can survive. In the winter here, they have a lot and I mean a good fat layer on them. There's plenty running around in Tennessee and Oklahoma. Those states get cold. But its just like anywhere else, if there's a food source they will be fine.

Yes if the hogs have a good diet they will taste great. My uncle has killed hogs in Oklahoma and here in St. Augustine, Florida. The ones he got in Oklahoma he said you couldn't even tell the difference between that and a farm raised pig. He absolutely hated the Florida hog and the way it tasted. He hated it so much he mixes it with dog food and gives it to his dogs.

I can say the same thing for the deer here. They aren't that bad, but a Wyoming whitetail is simply amazing!

To the point, diet is everything.