Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Wild boar hair?

Old 11-25-2018, 07:44 AM
Spike

Default Wild boar hair?

First-timer posting. Found these very stiff hairs in an area of San Diego, California along a riparian corridor. I thought they might be wild boar hair and could use some expert opinion here. Wild boar are known from other parts of our county, but never from the area where these were found. Thanks much!
Attached Thumbnails Wild boar hair?-hair4.jpg   Wild boar hair?-hair-unknown.jpg   Wild boar hair?-hair8.jpg   Wild boar hair?-hair1.jpg  
Old 11-25-2018, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

They look like wild turkey beards to me. https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/be...turkey-beards/
Old 11-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Spike

Appreciate the input here Oldtimr!
Old 11-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen Peccaries down your way numerous times, not beyond the realm of possibility there may be Hogs around. Hogs can cover a lot of territory, 10-20 miles a night isn't all that unusual. I've hunted Hogs 125-150 miles north of you. I've even seen a troop of Coatis or Coatimundi down your way that weren't supposed to be there.

Doesn't really look like the Hog hair I've seen, I don't remember seeing it in bunches like that. I usually find it on barber wire fences or rubbed onto tree bark.

Maybe the feral Hog eradication program in San Diego county wasn't as successful as they claim, maybe a pack of Hogs found their way south?

Last edited by MudderChuck; 11-25-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Spike

I wouldn't be surprised if the feral hogs are still around and have made their way downstream in the San Diego River drainage to more urban locales. I'm leaning more towards turkey beard material now, sending off some samples to a guy in VT for input. Appreciate all the input here as well!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like turkey beard to me. But definitely not hog hair.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

We don’t have hogs here either. At least not yet. I am hearing reports of some being in parts of Vermont and New Hampshire.

I have to agree though that it looks like turkey beards.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Spike

At first I thought it did look like hog hair, but the way they are in "bunches", has turkey beard written all over it.