Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

More hogs

Old 10-09-2018, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default More hogs

Been getting a lot more hogs recently moving in. My brother has been doing pretty good this season but the hogs are not helping the deer. Hopefully taking these out will help move the sounder away. Discouraging to see all these hogs all the time when it’s deer season. We are up to 4 hogs and 3 deer since the season opened.
Attached Thumbnails More hogs-32eb9798-8dc0-46d5-88c8-d5abdc91de4f.jpeg   More hogs-8e0cce47-db4d-43fe-8072-8ba96379f8f5.jpeg  
Old 10-20-2018, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

Good job! You can't go wrong with killing more hogs.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah but when it’s deer season I like to get deer. A lot tougher to get deer than hogs. Hogs are year round.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:37 AM
Spike

Yes so for now you can hunt deer and kill a hog if you spot one! deer move from place to place and you have to find their migration path.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think it's possible to kill enough of them things. Very destructive too. They do grind up good though and are a fun hunt ...

I hear northerners say stuff like "wish we had hogs to hunt" I always inform them of the mess hogs make. And tell them it'll ruin their deer hunting .I don't think they believe me though.

-Jake
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I don't think it's possible to kill enough of them things. Very destructive too. They do grind up good though and are a fun hunt ...

I hear northerners say stuff like "wish we had hogs to hunt" I always inform them of the mess hogs make. And tell them it'll ruin their deer hunting .I don't think they believe me though.

-Jake
Wasn't long ago I called a dairy farmer who grew his own silage and told him the hogs had been in his hay field. He asked me to tamp down the divots a bit if I had the time. I told him if I had a front loader and a couple of days I could repair his field some. This was about an eight Hog sounder and they pretty much destroyed an acre of pasture in one night. They also knocked over his Bee hives and destroyed them.

One of the signs I notice when the Hogs are on the move is the Doe with fawn breaking brush, often making that screaming bark and heading for the hills.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

hogs can be a real P.I.T.A. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...cf-430-diameter-310-grain-flat-nose-gas-check
MOLD DC C 430-310-RF
sized .430 and loaded over 21 grains of h110 does a great job

yeah a 357 mag works reasonably well if properly loaded.(assuming your a decent shot of course!)

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

H110 powder and a gas check hard cast bullet like this works in a 357 mag just fine if you can shoot accurately

12-13 grains of H110 , or 296 powder generally works under the NEI hard cast 171 grain bullet linked above
use 95% WW allow and 5% pure tin
https://outdoorever.com/where-to-shoot-a-hog/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-08-2018 at 07:30 AM.