Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Texas Approves Poisoning Of Wild Hogs >

Texas Approves Poisoning Of Wild Hogs

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Texas Approves Poisoning Of Wild Hogs

Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Texas Approves Poisoning Of Wild Hogs

The Texas Agriculture Commissioner has approved the use of Kaput Feral Hog Lure; a poison that contains Warfarin for use on hogs.

Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller approved the use of pesticides this week to aid in the killing of feral hogs, long a scourge of Texas landowners. The approved poison is called Kaput Feral Hog Lure and contains warfarin which is already used to kill larger rodents.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...s-10950587.php

The use of this poison was recently approved by the EPA.

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem...6-20170103.pdf

With the EPA on the job what possibly could go wrong?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

And what is to stop Whitetail from getting into the bait? Is that stuff not lethal to deer? Also, what about those of us that butcher and eat or donate the meat from wild hogs? I donate thousands of pounds of wild hog meat yearly. This will severely impact those donations to Hunters Feeding The Hungry since around 65% of the hogs I take are on my Texas runs.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

And what is to stop Whitetail from getting into the bait?

The feeders have 8-10 pound covers the hogs flip open with their snouts. Supposedly deer can't open the feeders.

Read the instructions for use at the EPA link:
Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hate to see animals that are the source for food killed by the use of poison. However, I certainly understand the land owners position due to the amount of damage wild hogs can and will do. It has come to this because hunting by hunters and damage control people during the day and night and from aircraft has not been able to reduce the hog population to a point where the amount of damage done by them is negligible and or acceptable. I don't know enough about Warfarin to know if secondary poisoning could be a problem with scavengers. I would assume there are some regulation regarding cleaning up the carcasses.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
The feeders have 8-10 pound covers the hogs flip open with their snouts. Supposedly deer can't open the feeders.

Read the instructions for use at the EPA link:
LMAO@ that crap. Hogs may be smarter but whitetail aint stupid either. If they are attracted enough to it, they will find a way to get into it.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

They did pretty much the same thing in So. Cal in the 60's, except then it was the Mule Deer. Ranchers were complaining the Deer were infecting their herds with disease.

Shortly there after the California Condor became seriously endangered and eventually nearly extinct. They tried to blame the problem on lead shot, my opinion is the farmers poisoning the Deer was a major factor.

I came across numerous, what I call poison pens, thick rail fence, five feet high, in a twelve foot square with no gate, poison Corn in the middle. I found these just on the other side of the mountain from the Condor sanctuary. One of those dirty secrets nobody talked about and nobody wanted to hear.

The "law of unintended consequences" kind of screams on this one, not a good idea. Red Tail Hawks, Turkey Buzzard and others are threatened now. Chowing down on a poison carcasses is unlikely to help them any.

Cleaning up the carcasses is going to be a chore in brush country, the first sign of a carcass is usually the Buzzards, Vultures, Crows, Jays and Ravens.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe they need to recruit more hunters with a minimal fee for bunking privileges and kill all the hogs you want? Something that would attract hunters from other states.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

The "law of unintended consequences" kind of screams on this one, not a good idea. Red Tail Hawks, Turkey Buzzard and others are threatened now. Chowing down on a poison carcasses is unlikely to help them any.

Users of Kaput Feral Hog Lure are required to dispose of the carcasses. We will see how that one works out.

Kaput is a hog killing system complete with special feeders:

http://www.kaputproducts.com/solutio...ype/feral-hog/

The Australians used Warfarin to kill wild hogs but concluded it was inhumane and outlawed its use. They now use sodium nitrite. Sodium nitrite kills faster.

Actually shooting hogs from helicopters is very effective but rather seldom used by state agencies or farmers/ranchers. A local game here warden killed 74 hogs in one flight.

The USDA has been shooting wild hogs (and coyotes) from the air for many years. Two weeks ago USDA were shooting hogs from helicopters in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.

Well meaning hunters and landowners are adding to the hog problem by running deer feeders. Nearly every unfenced deer feeder attracts hogs. Yep, i was guilty of feeding and raising wild hogs for years. Then i wised up: You can either effectively trap wild hogs or feed wild hogs, can't do both. Now my feeders are fenced and hogs very seldom get to the corn.

BTW: India wiped out their buzzards with a veterinary medication. There were widespread consequences.

Drought does a trick on wild hogs. We were in severe drought here from 2010 until 2015. i saw hundreds of dead hogs during the drought. In a few south western Oklahoma counties the hog population has not recovered from that drought. Used to see sounders of 80-120 wild hogs on the wheat fields there, now hogs are scarce.

Last edited by falcon; 02-27-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been really really REALLY wanting to do one of those chopper hog slaughters myself. The problem most have is the expense of it. Running a chopper isn't cheap for one. For 2: You need a really damn fine pilot to execute the maneuvers to keep the clients on the hogs at an acceptable altitude and matching the speeds of the sounders running. I will assume those pilots don't come cheap either. Watch a few of those chopper hog videos to see what I am talking about. I trained many many years ago on Hueys just enough to be able to take off, fly, and land without killing myself and crew for emergency or if a mission went south and there was no other pilot or the pilot was injured somehow. Some of the maneuvers I saw in some of those videos are performed by OUTSTANDING pilots and not something your average Joe with a rotary license would be able to perform.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texas A&M veterinary has been working on wild hog birth control for around five years or more. There seems to be trouble with the dosing and longevity of the hormones.

One of the major concerns is the hormone effects on humans eating the meat. I guess breast sensitivity in men eating wild pork could be an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.