Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Killed Big Boar With Muzzleloader >

Killed Big Boar With Muzzleloader

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Killed Big Boar With Muzzleloader

Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Killed Big Boar With Muzzleloader

Was sitting at the base of a tree watching a game trail when a boar came around the corner pretty much head on. Distance was about 20 yards. Bullet hit the hog between the eyes and exited the shoulder.

Gun: .50 TC Black Diamond
Scope: 3X9 Minox set on 4 power
Bullet: 250 grain SST
Powder: 100 grains of Black MZ
Primer: Remington #11

At the shot the hog dropped and did not kick. Hog was very fat. Folks i gave the hog to said he weighed 306 pounds.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never shot a hog that didn't kick and kick vigorously and I have always made head shots. You have to trim the weeds before you take a picture so we can see the cutters.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hog did not have much for cutters, he was young.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

That bugger looks like he's been on groceries for about 2 months! Is there a ranch close by with grain troughs? Something other than just natural feed? He's mighty fat for a free ranger!

OT, I've taken many hogs without death throws. From the sounds of it, Falcon disconnected the brain stem perfectly. Even with head shots, if you don't disconnect the brain stem, there will still be some "signals" going out to the muscles. I remember one big old boar I hit with a 350gr Interlock out of my .458 SOCOM. Little over 85% of brain matter was literally removed from the scull and that bugger thrashed in a circle for 20+ seconds! Caught the next big old sow just under and behind the ear and not even a shudder! Was the real "bang flop"!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

That bugger looks like he's been on groceries for about 2 months! Is there a ranch close by with grain troughs?

The sucker dined on corn and soy beans at feeders for months. There are burr acorns and pecans plus the wheat fields. Pecans fatten hogs quickly.

One boar had obviously missed the good chow: Probably a newcomer. That hog was skinny to the nth degree.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I forgot you said you had a lot of pecan trees around. Those Bur Oak (white oak) acorns are just about as fattening as those pecans too. No wonder that bugger looked like he was getting groceries! He kinda was! Natures groceries!