Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
More Berger VLD-Hunting/Hog Results >

More Berger VLD-Hunting/Hog Results

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

More Berger VLD-Hunting/Hog Results

Old 04-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default More Berger VLD-Hunting/Hog Results

Got out twice this week and landed a couple of hogs. This first hog is down in Bosque County, Texas. Last year, we were told to not hunt anywhere near the cattle. This year, we were told we could hunt among the cattle, and that is just what we did. My hat is off to my partner who never fired a shot despite tracking multiple runners. He exercised good control and everything turned out fine.

The Berger round penetrated well and exited, going through light bone along the way.

This second hog was a big bigger, but much closer. The round clipped the back of the skull at the ear, traveled downward through the cervical vertebrae, and exited below and behind the opposite ear, doing a lot of damage. Unfortunately, my shots were low on the companion hog and it got away.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. Not many ranchers will tolerate hunting so close to their stock. You've obviously earned his trust and justifiably so.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. The rule is that if I shoot a cow, I buy it. That is the understanding up front. If I buy a cow, no doubt I won't be hunting there anymore. So the shot was chosen carefully and we didn't take shots on runners.

Hunting among cattle should not be taken lightly.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the hogs.

i sometimes hunt wheatfields where cattle are grazing. If there are cattle in a particular sector i won't shoot hogs there.

The cattle on that place will often approach sounders en masse. When that happens i climb from the stand and mingle with the cows. They make good cover.

The owner of the property i hunt can't say no to hunters. Some of those hunters are careless. Every year we find a couple dead cows on those fields.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

This one got away...

This one did not...
Old 04-15-2016, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, they sometimes run off. That one had the death lick and did not go far. Congrats on the big boar.